Stephen King Fans discussion

The Random - Discussion Threads > King's Fictional Towns

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by King (new)

King Reader | 43 comments The majority of Stephen King's settings are small towns. Some of these towns are so small that they'll have Constables instead of Sheriff's or police. And what they mostly have in common is that they come from the authors imagination; written so vividly that they seem almost real.

These are just a handful off the top of my head:

Tarker's Mill: Cycle of the Werewolf.

Little Tall Island: Dolores Clairborne, Storm of the Century.

Desperation, Nevada: Desperation.

Castle Rock: The Dead Zone, Needful Things...and others.

Derry: It, Insomnia, Bag of Bones, 11/22/63.

Haven: The Colorado Kid, The Tommyknockers.

Chester's Mill: Under the Dome.

Jerusalem's Lot: 'Salem's Lot, One For The Road.

Questions:

If you could fall through the pages of a Stephen King story, which of his fictional towns would you not mind living in...or visit? Would you involve yourself in an ongoing horror that was occurring there, or would you avoid it and just be an observer? Would you seek out certain individuals to meet or befriend?

Me Myself:

I wouldn't mind living in Jerusalem's Lot for a spell. I would hang out at the bar where Weasel drinks and then visit the soda shop and eat burgers and wait for Ben and Susan to walk in. Maybe introduce myself and become friends. I'd hang around them for a month or so, but I don't I'd hang around when Barlow and Stryker comes to town. As soon as Ralphy Glick comes up missing I'm hitting the road and heading to Ludlow.

What say you?

message 2: by Charles (new)

Charles | 96 comments I would have to go with Derry, it's is so iconic in the Kingverse.

message 3: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 2212 comments Charles wrote: "I would have to go with Derry, it's is so iconic in the Kingverse."

I think that would be my pick too.

message 4: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 4051 comments Both good and tempting choices. Personally, I enjoyed the vibe in Boulder CO, in The Stand and wouldn't mind spending some time there if I could somehow float in after the Pandemic was over. Wouldn't mind the town from The Colorado Kid... not sure that was actually called Haven in the book, and definitely wouldn't want the town of the same name from the Tommyknockers.

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael Roch | 405 comments Nick wrote: "the town from The Colorado Kid... not sure that was actually called Haven in the book"

Because of the TV show, I assumed it was Haven, but you're right, it wasn't. It was Moose-Lookit Island.

message 6: by F.C. (new)

F.C. Schaefer | 109 comments Nick wrote: "Both good and tempting choices. Personally, I enjoyed the vibe in Boulder CO, in The Stand and wouldn't mind spending some time there if I could somehow float in after the Pandemic was over. Wouldn..." I don't want anything to do with Haven from The Tommyknockers. Those people were foul mouthed and foul tempered before they were possessed by the aliens, which for some, was an improvement. Have always thought King must have been in a particularly nasty state of mind when he wrote that book, as so many of the characters are so unpleasant and unlikable. I think it's a flaw in the book because we don't feel that bad for them when bad things start happening.

message 7: by King (new)

King Reader | 43 comments Those people were foul mouthed and foul tempered before they were possessed by the aliens,"

No, not really.
There was only typical infidelity and assholery happening within the town. The profanity, anger and violence begin to happen after more radiation exposure. The narration kept detailing this every so often.