2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2020 > Water for Elephants: Mid-Reading Discussion

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4651 comments This is where we will discuss the book after we start reading it in September.

message 2: by Becki (new)

Becki Sims | 11 comments I’m actually going to try to read a book that is a nominated book.

message 3: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Motbey | 1090 comments Will be starting this today! My library has a million copies, all available so off to download an eCopy soon!

message 4: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 3175 comments I'm on chapter 5 (view spoiler)

message 5: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Motbey | 1090 comments This... Is definitely not my favourite book ever. I have seen the movie multiple times, but I never thought I'd ever read the book lol. And I know why. I rather enjoyed the movie but now I can't get it from my mind rather than taking note of the book! I've just started chapter 3. Slow goings for me!

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 1023 comments I finished already but I'll save my final comments until later. I really did enjoy the Depression-era train circus setting though. Apparently many of the things that happened in the plot are based on things that happened in real life.

message 7: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 3175 comments I accidentally finished this quickly yesterday without stop to post "in progress" comments, so I'll post my thoughts in the review thread.

message 8: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Motbey | 1090 comments I don't know what it is about this book but it's obviously just not for me. I will finish it because I hate not finishing a book, but ugh. I think my ebook copy isn't helping. There's a lot of typos in this version it's not even funny (I got it from the library). I'm hoping the typos aren't present in the printed version, but I don't know how they went unnoticed in here.

It's not just that though. The story itself isn't appealing, and I'm struggling with Jacob.

Because I never thought I'd read the book I watched the movie and I actually feel Robert Pattinson and Reese Witherspoon gave the characters a little more life haha.

I know a few others liked it, but for me... I guess it's just not for me this book *shrugs*

message 9: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 3175 comments Ashleigh wrote: "I don't know what it is about this book but it's obviously just not for me. I will finish it because I hate not finishing a book, but ugh. I think my ebook copy isn't helping. There's a lot of typo..."

I can see how this book might not be easy to like. The characters are not that well-rounded or anything. I was actually thinking I'd like to watch the movie because there's probably some better emotion there. I liked the story though. That made it worth the read and the 4 stars I gave it. I like Sara Gruen's writing also. No typos that I noticed in my paperback!

message 10: by Lisanne (new)

Lisanne (wolffhoofd) | 101 comments over halfway through now and all I want to say is: less of Marlena more of Rosie and the other animals

message 11: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1871 comments Interesting to read all your comments about this book. I read this several years ago and absolutely loved it. If I could have spared the time I would definitely reread it for this discussion. I especially appreciated the dire circumstances of those unemployed during the depression. Since that was 'before my time' it is difficult for me to imagine people starving to death... And the violence/death(s) that went unnoticed as described here was appalling to me! As I recall this book began as a NANOWRIMO novel which seems unbelievable to me, that a whole novel can be written in just 30 days!

I also enjoyed Ape House and liked At the Water's Edge. I own a couple more of her older releases as well but haven't yet read them.

I also loved the movie.

message 12: by Kpthebookworm (new)

Kpthebookworm | 2 comments I’m about 70 percent through it and I really like it so far. It reads fast and the setting is so interesting. I wish Marlena’s character was a little more fleshed out, and I can definitely see why it’s so polarizing - people hate it or love it, it seems. I’m enjoying it so far. I’ve always wanted to read it ever since I saw the movie in theaters when it came out. This was the perfect opportunity!

message 13: by bailey, Readathons (new)

bailey (baileyktw) | 443 comments I just finished this audiobook over the weekend after never having read it or seen the movie before. I usually hate romance as the primary genre in books, but I actually really enjoyed this one. It definitely had its problems and there were certainly aspects that I didn't enjoy, but overall it was a good read. The audiobook was phenomenal, too. Excited to watch the movie (because Robert Pattinson, duh!) and see how it all plays out. Mostly I'm just glad to have this off my TBR after 6 years!!

message 14: by Martha (new)

Martha | 57 comments I started listening to the audiobook today and I am now at ch. 5. I like the story well enough right now, but I am also not very engaged. The scene with Barbara the Beauty really put me off as well. We will see how things progress.

message 15: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Motbey | 1090 comments I'm just about at the end now. Last chapter I think. The book has definitely improved in the second half in my opinion, and I've found myself 'awwing' a little at moments. So my first half experience wasn't great, but I have enjoyed the second half!

message 16: by Heather (new)

Heather Dufield | 87 comments I really enjoyed it. I feel bad about what happened to Walter and Camel. I'm glad that Jacob and Marlena didn't leave Rosie behind and that the book had a positive ending I thought was nice.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 1023 comments I started watching the live action remake of Dumbo with my daughter, and I saw a lot of influences from this book. (If you haven't seen it, it's quite a bit different from the original animated film.)

message 18: by Heather (new)

Heather Dufield | 87 comments Martha wrote: "I started listening to the audiobook today and I am now at ch. 5. I like the story well enough right now, but I am also not very engaged. The scene with Barbara the Beauty really put me off as well..."

Yeah I wasn't a fan of this section of the book either, but I guess it goes to show that the circus had a little bit of everything for everyone.

message 19: by Alekhya (new)

Alekhya Suma | 81 comments I love the parts with Rosie and other animals but I feel like there isn't enough of them