I Read Comic Books discussion

Books like Giant Days?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erin (new)

Erin (panelparty) | 252 comments Mod
Earlier this year I blew through all of Giant Days in about a week, and I'm desperate for more! Does anyone have any reccs for similar-ish books?

I recently read Minotaar and that definitely scratched the itch for me - cutesy drawings, mundane situations with a hint of the fantastic, etc.

Would love to try out something new in a similar vein!

message 2: by Chad (new)

Chad | 767 comments I thought Nuclear Winter by CAB had that same Giant Days vibe, although a completely different setting.

message 3: by KaitLphere (new)

KaitLphere | 211 comments Mod
I feel like Lumberjanes has similar vibes if you haven't read that yet! Also possibly On a Sunbeam by Tillie Walden, but it's just one collected book.

message 4: by Brandon (new)

Brandon (fuhret) | 49 comments It's disappointing that western comics haven't really cornered the "slice of life" genre like manga has, Giant Days is kind of alone in scratching that itch. Steeple is also by John Allison and you should give that a look, and I second Kait's recommendation for Lumberjanes, Vol. 1: Beware the Kitten Holy and add Archie, Vol. 1 but from the looks of it you've read those already. I think Archie is probably the closest, with stuff like Betty & Veronica.

I also think Nancy Drew: The Palace of Wisdom has a similar vibe even if it skews younger than the college-aged Giant Days.

message 5: by Ed (new)

Ed Erwin | 201 comments I tried going to the page for Giant Days and looking at what this website suggests as similar. Lumberjames comes up a lot. Another that came up is Goldie Vance Vol. 1. Anyone read that?

message 6: by Chad (new)

Chad | 767 comments Ed wrote: "I tried going to the page for Giant Days and looking at what this website suggests as similar. Lumberjames comes up a lot. Another that came up is Goldie Vance Vol. 1. Anyone read t..."

I've read Goldie Vance. It's a cute series. Great art. Like Lumberjanes though, I think it's intended for a little younger audience than Giant Days.

message 7: by Erin (new)

Erin (panelparty) | 252 comments Mod
Brandon wrote: "It's disappointing that western comics haven't really cornered the "slice of life" genre like manga has, Giant Days is kind of alone in scratching that itch. Steeple is also by John..."

I definitely need to read more slice-of-life manga. Any reccs?

I have 2 or 3 volumes of Goldie Vance, but haven't read them yet - I'll bring em up to the top of the list!

Lumberjanes is probably too young for me, but I still love it and have every volume. I just love cutesy female-fronted comics I guess!

Thanks for all the suggestions - looks like I've got reading to do! :)

message 8: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Mike Rapin (mikerapin) | 636 comments Mod
Nana is supposed to be solid slice of life Manga!