What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Mermaids Singing
This topic is about The Mermaids Singing
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Fiction; Irish folklore-y book about mermaids; a woman learning more about her Irish roots. [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Rosado | 5 comments Back around 2005 I used to go to the book store and randomly select books from the bargain section. I picked up a book I cannot remember what the image on the cover was, I remember it was a blue-ish or greenish color probably a body water kind of scenery. The book was about a young woman who learns about the mystical tradition of mermaids and somehow learns some information about how the women in her family were part of that? It is so vague my memory. A real life scenario happened and the woman is in Ireland I don't remember if a death in the family or illness brought her there. Maybe she is reminiscing about being there as a child? I remember in the first chapter, maybe the first line even, she is talking to or mentions Gemma, her grandmother. I wish I could recall more but I would love to find this book again and read it as an adult.

message 3: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Rosado | 5 comments No if I remember correctly, the word mermaid is not in the title.

message 4: by KayV (new)

KayV | 5 comments Could it be Ingo by Helen Dunmore?

message 5: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Rosado | 5 comments no it's not a children's novel and it's not as fantasy based. it's more realistic and there's elements of fantasy almost like the movie Big Fish there is a family legacy that is tied to mermaids. the woman is reconnecting with her past and learning about her Irish culture. that's mostly the preface. i was googling titles with lagoon and blue because that resonates with me but I'm not entirely sure if those words are in the title. I'm sp stressed over not knowing what this title is :(

message 6: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Rosado | 5 comments it's also not part of a series

message 7: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2502 comments Mod
This is a bit of a long shot but Away deals with Irish heritage and folklore and has a bit of magical realism but I don't think there are mermaids.

message 8: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Rosado | 5 comments Marisa wrote: "The Mermaids Singing?"

Wait I think this is the book I was thinking of! Thanks so much!