Play Book Tag discussion

August 2020: Other Books > (Poll Ballet) Beauty Queens by Libba Bray

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chili (new)

Chili Hanson (chilipinkcat) | 110 comments 4 Stars

This book made me laugh out loud. It was hilarious. A plane full of teenage beauty pageant contestants crashes on an island. Of course none of the adults and not all of the contestants survive the crash. Miss Texas, Taylor, wants everyone to practice their pageant skills, while Miss New Hampshire, Adina thinks they should focus on finding water and shelter. Democracy at it's finest, the group elects Miss Texas as group leader. Taylor finally agrees survival might be important and breaks the group in to teams, Sparkle Ponies and Lost Girls to complete their assigned tasks. The girls are not alone on the island. A secret project, Project Peacock, is taking place in the volcano. A ship is floundering off shore and the girls rescue the crew. They turn out to be the cast of the reality show Captain Bodacious, British schoolboys turned pirate. All this is sponsored by The Corporation. The Corporation CEO is former Miss Teen Dream Ladybird Hope, who is in cahoots with dictator MoMo Cha Cha. Everything comes to a head, when they hold The Miss Teen Dream pageant on the island. This book was a hoot! My daughter kept coming in to find out what I was laughing about. This book is by no means great literature and the things that happen are so over the top and unbelievable, all I could do is laugh. But then I tend to be easily amused. Life is short, you gotta laugh.

message 2: by NancyJ (last edited Aug 20, 2020 10:33AM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5652 comments Great review. I'm bumping it up my tbr.

I kept hearing that someone was trying to make a Lord of The Flies movie with girls, but we know if girls were on the island it would be a whole different story. (As much as I admired Gloria Steinem, I disagree when she says that boys and girls aren't different.)

message 3: by Chili (new)

Chili Hanson (chilipinkcat) | 110 comments NancyJ wrote: "Great review. I'm bumping it up my tbr.

I kept hearing that someone was trying to make a Lord of The Flies movie with girls, but we know if girls were on the island it would be a whole different ..."

We had a broom ball league in high school with co-ed, all guy and all girl teams. I would play an all guy team before an all girl one. The girls were vicious, broken bones, black eyes and split lips. I was on a co-ed team and got a few bruises but that's it. My friend's sister ended up with a broken collar bone.

message 4: by Olivermagnus (new)

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 2237 comments This sounds hilarious. I'm adding it to my TBR.