tRicK MiRRor BoOk cLuB discussion

questions for essay #6: the story of a generation in seven scams

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eleni (new)

Eleni | 14 comments Mod
we’re back on schedule this week, so drop any questions/comments about essay #6 down below! we’re talking fyre festival! what! drama, drama, drama!

message 2: by april ☔ (new)

april ☔ (lostinthebookstacks) | 8 comments bro. I thought the self-optimization essay was bad (not bad as in poorly written, just really depressing to read) but this one took me to whole new levels of pessimism lmao.

Anyway, the amount of history and research put into this essay is actually amazing?! I learned so much. I don’t even feel like revisiting the essay to find the parts I want to talk about 😂 but basically what I took from this is that a) we’re screwed!!! 🤠 b) trump sux c) even when we recognize that we’re complacent in a system that takes advantage of the poor and underprivileged (aka by using amazon, etc), because of the fact that we’re also just trying to keep our heads above the water, we can’t (or we convince ourselves we can’t in order to get ahead because we believe in the profitability of the scam) comfortably afford to NOT participate in the system and so we continue perpetuating it. What Jia said at the end resonated so much, the part about believing in the fantasy that one day we’ll achieve enough money/status/power to start “doing some good” and absolve ourselves of the actions we took when we “couldn’t afford” to “do good.”

message 3: by Eleni (new)

Eleni | 14 comments Mod
April wrote: "bro. I thought the self-optimization essay was bad (not bad as in poorly written, just really depressing to read) but this one took me to whole new levels of pessimism lmao.

Anyway, the amount of ..."

RIGHT? THIS ESSAY DESTROYED ME!!!!! and it didn't help that these were a lot of things i'd been thinking about for a long time already........but didn't really have a concrete way of explaining how i was feeling or so many examples to back it up. this was my favorite essay for sure, and i'm not sure if that's despite how much it hurt me to read or because of how much it hurt LOL