What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

A Good Man Is Hard To Find
This topic is about A Good Man Is Hard To Find
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Short Story, chilling: old woman on a car trip with her family, they meet fugitives. Heard in late 70s/early 80s. Spoilers ahead. [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Plch (last edited Aug 19, 2020 10:07AM) (new) - added it

Plch | 24 comments I listened to this story on the radio when I was a child in the late '70s-early '80s, it shocked me because (view spoiler)The style was chilling, the author could be Patricia Highsmith.
The story is in the third person but from the point of view of this old lady on a car trip with her son and his family: wife and two children. They are not presented positively: the son get angry easily, the children cry: they would like to visit a haunted house. At some point they stop because they see a car having an accident and ending out of the road. The son tries to help but it's soon clear that the men in the car are in fact dangerous fugitives, they are wearing ill fitting clothes because they were the clothes of the previous owner of their car, which they have killed. (view spoiler)
I think I also remember that the woman's son wore a shirt with parrots.
Anyone remembers a story like that?

message 3: by Plch (new) - added it

Plch | 24 comments yup, that's it, thank you! i remembered some details wrong (they are the one having an accident) but most of the details are correct. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Good_...

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39865 comments Mod
How can we rewrite the topic header to get rid of spoilers? Seems extremely spoilery.

message 5: by Plch (new) - added it

Plch | 24 comments edited and added spoiler tags

message 6: by Kris (last edited Aug 19, 2020 10:42AM) (new)

Kris | 35738 comments Mod
Note: I added a spoiler alert to the topic header to give people a fair warning. Currently, the spoiler tag doesn't work on the Mobile App. It doesn't hide the spoiler text. (I also added a few clues to the header - chilling, years.)

message 7: by Plch (last edited Aug 19, 2020 12:27PM) (new) - added it

Plch | 24 comments thank you! I didn't know about the problems with the spoiler tag: on my mobile, when there is a spoiler tag I cannot see anything,even clicking on the text.

message 8: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35738 comments Mod
Plch wrote: "thank you! I didn't know about the problems with the spoiler tag: on my mobile, when there is a spoiler tag I cannot see anything,even clicking on the text."

You're welcome. The Mobile App continues to evolve. At one time, all the spoiler text was completely hidden on the app. Btw, the Mobile Website handles the spoiler tag.