English Mysteries Club discussion

Reading Around English Mysteries > Asian Mystery Authors

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) | 1865 comments Mod
Asian Mystery Authors.

This is the thread to discuss authors from India, Pakistan and Bangladesh who also write mysteries in the English style.

message 2: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 352 comments Bionic Jean wrote: "Asian Mystery Authors.

This is the thread to discuss authors from India, Pakistan and Bangladesh who also write mysteries in the English style."

Thank You Jean

message 3: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) | 1865 comments Mod
You're welcome Thomas :) It should be interesting reading.

message 4: by Keri (new)

Keri | 18 comments There is a mystery series by Colin Cotterill set in Laos that is quite good. Not an Asian writer maybe but an Asian main character set. Dr. Siri becomes the coroner of Laos due to being in the communist party and being a doctor. The Coroner’s lunch. He has to grow into the job but he is good at crime solving. Probably doesn’t fit here or in this group but still a great mystery series.

message 5: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) Keri wrote: "There is a mystery series by Colin Cotterill set in Laos that is quite good. Not an Asian writer maybe but an Asian main character set. Dr. Siri becomes the coroner of Laos due to being in the comm..."

I’ve only read the first book, but definitely want to read more - great characters! And a time and place I know very little about, always a plus to learn something!

message 6: by Thomas (last edited Aug 22, 2020 04:47PM) (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 352 comments Here are my reviews of books 1 and 2. I like this series.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 7: by John (last edited Aug 22, 2020 05:10PM) (new)

John | 150 comments Keri wrote: "There is a mystery series by Colin Cotterill set in Laos that is quite good. Not an Asian writer maybe but an Asian main character set. Dr. Siri becomes the coroner of Laos due to Sujata Masseybeing in the comm..."

When I suggested this thread, I had in mind Ovidia Yu's series featuring Chen Su Lin set in colonial Singapore: The Frangipani Tree Mystery.

Also, American(?) Sujata Massey' s series set in colonial India: The Widows of Malabar Hill.

message 8: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) Oh, I enjoyed Malabar Hill, look forward to reading more of that series. Another wonderful, interesting time and place. Hadn’t heard of Ovidia Yu’s series - thanks, John!

message 9: by Helen (new)

Helen (helenfrominyocounty) | 111 comments He doesn't live in India, but his mysteries are set in India -- and they are wonderful, and so are the covers - Vaseem Khan: Vaseem Khan . The first one is: The Unexpected Inheritance of Inspector Chopra. Who can resist a series with a baby elephant as a sort of "co-detective?"

He also has a new series just out, featuring India's first female police detective: Midnight at Malabar House

message 10: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) Thanks for this, Helen - I’ve read the first Inspector Chopra, but wasn’t aware of this new historical series. I love the historical angle, reminds me of another favorite series set in India, Abir Mukherjee’s Sam Wyndham series. The first was A Rising Man.

message 11: by Helen (new)

Helen (helenfrominyocounty) | 111 comments Yes, should have mentioned that one. They were both at St Hilda's Mystery virtual conference a couple of weeks ago. Watched great interviews with both, and really interesting guys.

message 12: by Iza (new)

Iza Brekilien (izabrekilien) Susan in NC wrote: "Thanks for this, Helen - I’ve read the first Inspector Chopra, but wasn’t aware of this new historical series. I love the historical angle, reminds me of another favorite series set in India, [auth..."

I read "A rising man" too and loved it !

message 13: by Thomas (last edited Oct 23, 2020 01:19PM) (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 352 comments Murder in Old Bombay
A clean historical mystery--no sex or profanity, little violence with a dashing hero and a forbidden romance. My review, 3.5* rounded up
The author is a Parsee Zoroastrian who lives in New Jersey.

message 14: by Carolien (new)

Carolien (carolien_s) The Superintendent Le Fanu series by Brian Stoddart is set in Madras and I enjoyed the first book in the series.

The Shinobi Mysteries is set in Japan in the 1500's and I really enjoyed the first one - Claws of the Cat.

Crime Wave Press specializes in Asian mysteries: http://crimewavepress.com/about_us.php

I really enjoy Sujata Massey. She also has the Rei Shimura series which is set in Japan.

message 15: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) Iza wrote: "Susan in NC wrote: "Thanks for this, Helen - I’ve read the first Inspector Chopra, but wasn’t aware of this new historical series. I love the historical angle, reminds me of another favorite series..."

I have enjoyed the whole series, I hope it keeps going.

message 16: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) Thomas wrote: "Murder in Old Bombay
A clean historical mystery--no sex or profanity, little violence with a dashing hero and a forbidden romance. My review, 3.5* rounded up
https://www.goodreads.c..."

Thanks for this recommendation, what an interesting background for the author!

message 17: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) Carolien wrote: "The Superintendent Le Fanu series by Brian Stoddart is set in Madras and I enjoyed the first book in the series.

The Shinobi Mysteries is set in Japan in the 1500's and I really en..."

Thanks, Carolien (if I actually get to half of my to be read pile, I’ll be lucky!)

message 18: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 352 comments Susan in NC wrote: "Thomas wrote: "Murder in Old Bombay
https://..."

You are Welcome.

message 19: by Barbara K (new)

Barbara K | 168 comments Thanks for all these ideas! I haven’t read much in this area, but a lot of these books sound tempting.

message 20: by John (new)

John | 150 comments Carolien wrote: "The Superintendent Le Fanu series by Brian Stoddart is set in Madras and I enjoyed the first book in the series.

The Shinobi Mysteries is set in Japan in the 1500's and I really en..."

Carolien wrote: "The Superintendent Le Fanu series by Brian Stoddart is set in Madras and I enjoyed the first book in the series... "

Appears to be available as a free monthly Kindle Lending Library title!

message 21: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) | 4 comments James Melville, an Englishman, wrote a wonderful series set in Japan in 1980s-90s featuring old-school police Superintendent Otani who was often at odds with and puzzled by his more westernized staff. The first of 13 is The Wages of Zen The Wages of Zen by James Melville

message 22: by John (new)

John | 150 comments Phair wrote: "James Melville, an Englishman, wrote a wonderful series set in Japan in 1980s-90s featuring old-school police Superintendent Otani who was often at odds with and puzzled by his more ..."

I loved those books!

message 23: by Helen (new)

Helen (helennn) | 3 comments Bionic Jean wrote: "Asian Mystery Authors.

This is the thread to discuss authors from India, Pakistan and Bangladesh who also write mysteries in the English style."

I just saw this thread. From the perspective of someone living in Australia, Asian is usually used in reference to people from China, Japan and South-East Asia. Could these countries be included in this thread?

message 24: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 352 comments I read and recommend Wild Prey by Brian Klingborg It is a police procedural set in rural northern China. My 4 star review https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 25: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Mclaren | 290 comments Helen wrote: "Bionic Jean wrote: "Asian Mystery Authors.

I just saw this thread. From t..."

That's what I first thought when I saw the thread, Helen, although I know that India, Pakistan and Bangladesh are also considered Asian.

I've tried to read more works by authors from throughout this part of the world. But many of them have been difficult for me to understand or appreciate. Like Norwegian Wood by Japanese author Haruki Murakami — I've no doubt that he is a well regarded writer but I couldn't empathize with the characters and what they were going through.

But I have had better luck reading the work of Chinese authors Mo Yan and Qiu Xiaolong and Indian writers Kiran Desai, Vikram Seth and Vaseem Khan.

I recently purchased three of Ovidia Yu's Crown Colony series and am looking forward to reading them soon. And hope to get my hands on a copy of Alice Poon's The Green Phoenix: A Novel of the Woman Who Re-Made Asia, Empress Xiaozhuang.

message 26: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 352 comments I read Killed at the Whim of a Hat by Colin Cotterill It is book 1 in the Jimm Juree series, set in Thailand. The author is an Australian man who has lived in Thailand. I enjoyed it and recommend it to those who like mysteries with quirky characters. My review https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 27: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 2 comments Thomas, The Jim Juree series is excellent. I’ve only read the first book but plan to read more when I have time.

message 28: by John (new)

John | 150 comments Pamela wrote: "Helen wrote: "Bionic Jean wrote: "Asian Mystery Authors.

I just saw this ..."

I highly recommend Crown Colony.

message 29: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 352 comments Cassie wrote: "Thomas, The Jim Juree series is excellent. I’ve only read the first book but plan to read more when I have time."

I agree. His other series, Dr. Siri Pamboumi is also very good

message 30: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 352 comments I read Disco For The Departed by Colin Cotterill It is book 3 in the Dr. Siri Paiboun series. Dr. Paiboun is the chief Medical Examiner in Laos. The book has quirky characters and contact with the spirit world. I enjoyed it and rated it 4 stars. My review https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...