Play Book Tag discussion

White Is for Witching
This topic is about White Is for Witching
August 2020: Witches > White is for Witching by Helen Oyeyemi / 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Meli (melihooker) | 3450 comments White is for witching, a colour to be worn so that all other colours can enter you, so that you may use them. At a pinch, cream will do.

From an overall likability standpoint this is a 2, but Helen Oyeyemi is clearly a talented writer and I couldn't stomach giving such beautiful writing a rating that low. There were also times where I kept thinking I would need to reread this book again, maybe after a once through it would make more sense the 2nd time, so for that I bumped it up.

The main problem was I was pretty much confused the whole time.
POV shifts abruptly and it isn't clear who the narrator is at times.
Sometimes it isn't even clear what is happening; is it a dream, hallucination, or real?
And I suspect this is the point, but it hurt my ability to stay engaged.

I felt strongly this was an "it's me not you" situation.
I will read Oyeyemi again.
Hell, I might even read this again.
But it was a disorienting experience causing me to be less than ambitious to power through.

message 2: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 83 comments Meli wrote: "White is for witching, a colour to be worn so that all other colours can enter you, so that you may use them. At a pinch, cream will do.

From an overall likability standpoint this is a 2, but Hele..."

Thanks for this review as I felt the same way about this book but could not finish it. Since I have no previous experience with HO, it's good to know I should not put her on the 'never again' list.

Meli (melihooker) | 3450 comments Sarah wrote: "Meli wrote: "White is for witching, a colour to be worn so that all other colours can enter you, so that you may use them. At a pinch, cream will do.

From an overall likability standpoint this is ..."

There were so many times I wanted to throw in the towel and it was really the writing that kept me going.

Glad it wasn't just me! I really felt kinda dumb, like "why don't I get this??"