The Sword and Laser discussion

Serial Box

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tamahome (last edited Aug 17, 2020 07:27PM) (new)

Tamahome | 6376 comments What do you think of https://serialbox.com? I saw an ad for the space opera The Vela with a female soldier on Facebook, and was checking out the first free episode. It has a few sound effects here and there. Sort of like one of Elizabeth Moon's Graphicaudio books. Is the text supposed to scroll automatically (no)? Oh, you can start a listening party with multiple people in a chat room.

message 2: by Soo (new)

Soo (silverlyn) | 93 comments Serial Box is cool. I liked it better when you could download the books but now it's only accessed by website or app.

The first episode/chapter is free to read or listen. There are a couple of stories that are free in general.

SB has a sale a few times in the year and you can get seasons for a good price.

Most of the stories are written in an episodic format. I've read several seasons of Bookburners and enjoyed it a lot. Tried out a few of the horror/mystery.

message 3: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3635 comments Mod
I've listened to a few books on that service. I got the "Orphan Black" one when it was advertised on Sword and Laser. That was excellent with Tatiana Maslany narrating.

They do have a fair bit of free content on the site when you sign up and also give away a full book regularly. But you need to be fast they go within 10 to 15 minutes.

message 4: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2526 comments They seem to have changed the giveaways to you have four days to read the book for free, but they are giving away four-day access to more people (1500 vs 500).

Orphan Black: The Next Chapter was terrific. They have a deal with Marvel to publish books in that universe. They have noir science fiction and fantasy, very entertaining.

message 5: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3635 comments Mod
I missed that. I looked back and in seems to have changed as of last Friday's giveaway :-?

I still haven't read the free ones I've got over the last month.