Great African Reads discussion

Quarterly Nonfiction > Oct-Dec 2020 | Book Selection: LGBTQ Africa

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tinea, Nonfiction Logistician (last edited Aug 17, 2020 02:09PM) (new)

Tinea (pist) | 411 comments Mod
We'll be reading nonfiction about lesbian, gay, bi, transgender, queer, intersex and other sexual and gender identities in Africa as we wrap up 2020's last Quarterly Nonfiction read.

What books would you like to read? Got any other resources, articles, etc. to share?

I have been eyeing She Called Me Woman: Nigeria's Queer Women Speak, on my TBR shelf since it came out. Read an interview with the authors. Similar collections of personal accounts include Trans: Transgender Life Stories from South Africa and Stories of our Lives: Queer Kenyan Narratives.

For some ideas, there is a list! Here are a few that piqued my interest:
Out in Africa: LGBT Organizing in Namibia and South Africa
Kenyan, Christian, Queer: Religion, LGBT Activism, and Arts of Resistance in Africa
Love Falls On Us: A Story of American Ideas and African LGBT Lives
Male Daughters, Female Husbands: Gender and Sex in an African Society
Lives of Great Men: Living and Loving as an African Gay Man

This collection of articles celebrating Binyavanga Wainaina after his passing includes many other African writers reacting to and growing from his coming out story.

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan Lewallen (susanlewallen) | 14 comments Shout out to Robbie Courey-Boulet for Love Falls on Us. I read this as a resource in the process of research for a book. It’s a respected journalist’s well-researched description of the evolution of LGBTQ issues in 3 West African countries (Cote d’Ivoire, Cameroon, and Liberia). It was useful for me and provided new insights into the role of western aid in helping and hurting the cause, as well as some historical perspective on the issues.

message 3: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (valroos) | 302 comments I would be interested in reading Love Falls On Us: A Story of American Ideas and African LGBT Lives. I have heard many good things about it.

message 4: by Wim, French Readings (new)

Wim | 809 comments Mod
Love Falls On Us: A Story of American Ideas and African LGBT Lives would be fine for me too, sounds very interesting.

I am also tempted by Male Daughters, Female Husbands: Gender and Sex in an African Society, but that book is more about gender than about LGBTQ I think.

message 5: by Tinea, Nonfiction Logistician (new)

I agree-- looks interesting and meaty.

message 6: by Tinea, Nonfiction Logistician (new)

Thanks so much for the suggestions and discussion for a nonfiction book on LGBTQIA+ issues in Africa!

The poll is up! Please vote!

message 7: by Tinea, Nonfiction Logistician (new)

Hi nonfiction readers,

Just a few more days to vote on the poll for this year's last nonfiction book, and the choices are neck and neck. What would you like to read?

message 8: by Orgeluse (new)

Orgeluse | 422 comments As I have just finished our regional read La Bastarda which fits perfectly to a discussion of LGBTQ Africa from a literary angle I also discovered African Sexualities: A Reader by Sylvia Tamale.
I know it is too late for a nomination but I wanted to share the title nevertheless for those who are interested!

message 9: by Tinea, Nonfiction Logistician (new)

Thanks for the great ideas, Orgeluse! I'd love to read more African fiction featuring LGBTQ characters, so I appreciate the suggestion.

For the group read, we'll tackle Love Falls On Us: A Story of American Ideas and African LGBT Lives! Follow along in the book discussion thread.