Play Book Tag discussion

August 2020: Witches > Dark Witch by Nora Roberts - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2275 comments I knew when I picked this up that I'd enjoy it. Specifically because it was a Nora Roberts trilogy, set in Ireland. It was bound to be fun and entertaining. Sometimes being predictable is just what you need.

Iona is an American who came from mostly indiffenrent parents. She loved her grandmother who told her the stories of her family in Ireland. Iona sets off to see if that's where she really fits in and goes to meet her cousins Branna and Connor and their friends. She instantly feels this is where she should be.

I loved the characters but somehow I just kept picturing Branna as much older than Iona and even Boyle seemed much older. Maybe it was not so much that they seemed older but that Iona had such youthful attributes. She was much shorter than her cousins and their friends, it is commented on often at first. Then there is her light and bubbly personality. Iona is chatty when she's embarrassed, it gets her deeper in trouble sometimes. She's charming and at first is always saying "I'm sorry". At one point she says, "Okay, so maybe I babbled a little. . ." That's Iona.

The story follows the path you expect, but the talent of Roberts is her development of interesting characters IMHO. This is the typical good vs evil story. The good witches (the O'Dwyers) and the evil one, Cabhan, who is still seeking revenge (and power) from the O'Dwyers since 1263. The book starts with that incident and the witch Sorcha, ancestor of the cousins.

Each of the O'Dwyers is accomplished with their powers but Iona is just beginning to explore. Much of the book is her training. And, of course, the romance. You can see how the trilogy will develop, who will be paired with whom. When I'm looking for something light and entertaining, that doesn't seem wrong. This was just the right book at the right time.

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7783 comments Excellent choice for the witches tag! I also enjoy her trilogies set in Ireland. This wasn't my favorite, but even so, highly enjoyable.

message 3: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7988 comments When I was a Nora reader her Irish trilogies were my favorites

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8952 comments I love her witchy trilogies!

message 5: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1225 comments Love Nora Roberts!