Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Robert B. Parker's Fool's Paradise
Group Read RBP's Fool'sParadise > Group Read - RBP's Fool's Paradise General No Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (last edited Aug 17, 2020 10:16AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14693 comments We don't always include a mid-series book on the group read schedule, but thought this new Jesse Stone entry deserved an opportunity to consider the various authors who have taken up the mantle after Robert B. Parker's death. Mike Lupica is the latest, let's see how this one lines up.
Interesting fact. This is book 19 and Robert B Parker was the author of nine of them. Michael Brandman was first after the originals with 2012's Robert B. Parker's Killing the Blues (writing three) and Reed Farrel Coleman followed with 2013's Robert B. Parker's Debt to Pay (writing six)
Are you planning on reading the book? Robert B. Parker's Fool's Paradise by Mike Lupica
US Release date is September 08, 2020

message 2: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14693 comments Ah covid-19, your disruptIons continue; I was hoping to get the print book the week of release from the library and my place in the queue normally would have a good shot...
...or perhaps one of the "lucky day" books on the shelf by the door to make sure those without holds could be lucky to find a copy on the shelf on release date. Instead, no in library browsing and less copies purchased. I hope my turn will be in a week or so.

Barry (barrypz) | 3070 comments I have the book on my Kindle and started reading it today. So far, I am writing in Google Docs to see if there is a natural way to break this onto more than one category. Just based on starting the book, if I was expecting a change in tone, I am getting it.

message 4: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14693 comments Barry I wondered if there would be a break or natural place to separate comments. If you find one let me know! I made the one segment with beginning to the end in one topic but am happy to change it.
Thank you!!

Barry wrote: "I have the book on my Kindle and started reading it today. So far, I am writing in Google Docs to see if there is a natural way to break this onto more than one category. Just based on starting the..."

message 5: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14693 comments Barry: as for the tone, I've listened to most of these, so may need to listen to get a true feel for it. This is going to be interesting!

message 6: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14693 comments The first Brandeman Robert B. Parker's Killing the Blues,
I said, "I could quibble a few moments when it was obviously not Parker penning the spare words of our hero, but they were few enough between to not take away from the overall whole."

The first Coleman Robert B. Parker's Blind Spot
I said, " The difference is a rougher edged testosterone and libido filled portrayal of even regular characters and a hard-boiled, almost throwback attitude about the women, with less empowerment and independent sense of at least some of the females Jesse encounters and a rougher commentary of them by the male characters. The beginning of the book was off-putting in this regard, but I prevailed and am glad I did."

Barry (barrypz) | 3070 comments Almost funny. Back in the days of Travis McGee, the women I discussed the books with always noticed that women were not treated very well. The men, myself included, did not. Good thing I am enlightened now.

message 8: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14693 comments Barry: Good thing! LOL That’s why I love group reads for different perspectives. Being aware others get a different take is the first step to enlightenment 😀

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8117 comments Barry wrote: "Almost funny. Back in the days of Travis McGee, the women I discussed the books with always noticed that women were not treated very well. The men, myself included, did not. Good thing I am enlightened now..."

Snort!

Barry (barrypz) | 3070 comments You doubting me, babe?

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8117 comments Barry wrote: "You doubting me, babe?"

At least you didn't call me a tomato!