Panels (100+ Graphics Novel Challenge) discussion

Fall Readathon - Week of Challenges 2020

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fyre.Katz (new)

Fyre.Katz (fyrekatz) | 244 comments Mod
thinking of trying out this for Sept - Oct time... thoughts of which month... I'll make a Bingo board or give prompts and you guys read something that fits it... for example... vampires - Vampire Knight. or something... let me know!

message 2: by Doc (new)

Doc (docpersona) | 225 comments Hmmm...might be an interesting idea.

The only issues I can think of for now are someone might not like certain subjects or types of graphic novels so the challenge becomes impossible and/or thanks to COVID access to libraries and such are limited also making specific things difficult to read. There is no harm in trying save for creating the board in the first place if it doesn't pan out. :)

Hope you and your family are doing fine.

message 3: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 123 comments Doc wrote: "Hmmm...might be an interesting idea.

The only issues I can think of for now are someone might not like certain subjects or types of graphic novels so the challenge becomes impossible and/or thank..."

Agreed but it will be interesting to try.

message 4: by Rowan (new)

Rowan TC | 4 comments Love this idea, but maybe to get over the issues Doc pointed out, instead of specific mangas, more specific themes? Like maybe just the "vampire" tile, and then you can read any manga that fits the vampire theme, or "witch" tile, something like that. And maybe each tile can include one or two titles for recs if people need inspo?

message 5: by Doc (new)

Doc (docpersona) | 225 comments Rowan wrote: "Love this idea, but maybe to get over the issues Doc pointed out, instead of specific mangas, more specific themes? Like maybe just the "vampire" tile, and then you can read any manga that fits the..."

I believe that is what she was inclining toward. I was referring to certain more sensitive people might be bothered by certain things such as Christians might avoid stories with devils/demons or someone might not like certain themes such as horror so might avoid vampire stories.

Of course there is no way to include everyone and access to certain graphic novels are limited by COVID so I agree it could be fun. Of course we have to take each other's words if we are really reading the books in question. :)

message 6: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 123 comments As long as things aren't too specific I am good with most things. I think hentai and such might be a bit much for some perhaps. I just hate having to really search for specifics. "An artist that is left handed" or something. I like easy options where we can read a variety. Especially with libraries still being closed where I live. I can request some titles but they have to be at my local library only and I have to request well in advance right now.

message 7: by Doc (new)

Doc (docpersona) | 225 comments Perhaps we can all contribute ideas for the board. The average board is 25 squares so we will need at least 24 with one free space in the middle. :)

Possible suggestions
Isekai
That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, Vol. 1 by Fuse Woof Woof Story I Told You to Turn Me Into a Pampered Pooch, Not Fenrir!, Vol. 1 (manga) by Inumajin Re Monster Vol 1 by Kogitsune Kanekiru My Next Life as a Villainess All Routes Lead to Doom! (Manga) Vol. 1 by Satoru Yamaguchi
Animals
Nyankees, Vol. 1 by Atsushi Okada Chi's Sweet Home, Volume 1 by Kanata Konami Plum Crazy! Tales of A Tiger-Striped Cat Vol. 1 by Hoshino Natsumi Junji Ito's Cat Diary Yon & Mu by Junji Ito
Monsters
Dragon Goes House-Hunting, Vol. 1 by Kawo Tanuki Giant Spider & Me A Post-Apocalyptic Tale Vol. 1 by Kikori Morino My Father is a Unicorn by Monaka Suzuki Mythical Beast Investigator, Vol. 1 by Keishi Ayasato
Apocalypse
Soul Liquid Chambers, Vol. 1 by Nozomu Tamaki School-Live!, Vol. 1 (Gakkou Gurashi!, #1) by Norimitsu Kaihou (Nitroplus) Dolly Kill Kill, Vol. 1 by Yukiaki Kurando Dr. Stone, Vol. 1 by Riichiro Inagaki

Then the question would be should a graphic novel that meets multiple grids count for all of them or should the reader choose only one of the squares?

message 8: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 123 comments Maybe limited square coverage but more than one. Like 1 graphic novel can cover 2-3 squares max.

Ideas:
-Mentions/takes place during a holiday or celebration (Christmas, New Years, Birthdays, White Day, etc)
-Has an animal in it
-Single word titles (and/or make it for a longer title, also we have to consider language when titles have been translated, are both okay?)
-Stand-Alone (and/or series that has +/- "x" number of volumes)
-Published before 2000 (or whenever)
-"O for October" Read a graphic novel thwere the title starts with O or the author's first/last name does
-Read outside your comfort zone
-Read a manga while eating a Japanese snack or meal

*Also genres as a square, horror, fantasy, science fiction, harem/reverse harem, historical, futuristic, slice of life, comedy, supernatural, etc...

message 9: by Doc (new)

Doc (docpersona) | 225 comments How about we have a sort of Manga Scrabble challenge.

Basically whatever graphic novel you read the first letter of the title is worth a certain amount of points (the Scrabble point system might work.) This way people can seek out titles with strange letters like Q and Z for bonus points and still keep up with someone that might read a bunch of common letter titles. By the way any titles like A Bride's Story, Vol. 1 and The Promised Neverland, Vol. 1 would be considered B and P because THE and A (also AN) are articles and don't count. :)

message 10: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 123 comments I’d do that too! Fun! As long as it is not in December or late November. Holiday season is too hectic.

message 11: by Doc (new)

Doc (docpersona) | 225 comments By the way if yow decide to go with the bingo challenge then how are you going to post a grid to the board? I am going to assume you save a picture of it somewhere and link to it from here.

message 12: by Doc (new)

Doc (docpersona) | 225 comments Jamie wrote: "I’d do that too! Fun! As long as it is not in December or late November. Holiday season is too hectic."

That's understandable. Everyone has been hindered or busy with extra care being needed to combat Corona this year so right now is the time for ideas and how we can implement them. :)