Play Book Tag discussion

Mexican Gothic
This topic is about Mexican Gothic
August 2020: Other Books > Mexican Gothic - Silvia Moreno-Garcia (4 1/2 stars)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cora (corareading) | 1419 comments Mexican Gothic - Silvia Moreno-Garcia

4 1/2 stars

Mexican Gothic is a novel about Noemi, a young woman in 1950s Mexico City. When her father receives a strange letter from her recently married cousin, Catalina, he sends Noemi to visit her. When she arrives at the gloomy mansion in an isolated village on a mountain covered with forests she discovers that her cousin is not well. She is trying to figure out what has sickened Catalina and what is wrong with the house and her cousin's husband and his family.

This was a great, creepy, atmospheric Gothic horror story. Noemi is a character that is a bit shallow at the beginning of the story, but with a stubborn streak. I love how she grows throughout the story but does not lose that strength of personality. The story was spooky and scary and the biologist in me loved the explanation of the strange things happening in the house. I would definitely recommend this book for anyone looking for a creepy read. It was just the right amount of scary for me with a sense of place and atmosphere that I love in a book.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7783 comments I have been wanting to read this book since hearing about it months before it was published! But, now I am concerned that it will scare the bejesus out of me....

Is it like Rebecca creepy? Or like southern gothic creepy? (which is kind of what I pictured) Or is it like full on scary? I am such a baby and hate being scared.

Meli (melihooker) | 3449 comments I got this on my tbr and have heard comparisons to Rebecca, which I haven't read. kinda debating reading Rebecca and Mexican Gothic back to back.

message 4: by David (new) - added it

David Putnam (davidputnam) | 283 comments Great review. :-)

Cora (corareading) | 1419 comments I would say creepier than Rebecca, a step above southern gothic creepy but not full on scary. Think of a haunted house type of story. There is a "monster" in the book.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7783 comments Cora wrote: "I would say creepier than Rebecca, a step above southern gothic creepy but not full on scary. Think of a haunted house type of story. There is a "monster" in the book."

Hmmmm, maybe I will read it but only during the day time.