Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Ceelee's J&J Reads

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 208 comments Better late than never! I am doing June and July because I only r finished two books in June. The five I have for July I was actually reading in June but didn't finish.

JUNE 2020

My first bonk is called Hollywood Haunted: A Ghostly Tour of Filmlanad by Laurie Jacobson and Marc Wanamaker .

Hollywood Haunted A Ghostly Tour of Filmland by Laurie Jacobson

It's a short book, only 128 pages and I knew a lot of them already but it is an entertaining and fun read.

The second book i read in June was more substantial. My Life in France by Julia Child and Alex Pru'Homme (her great nephew)

My Life in France by Julia Child

It is such a wonderful read! Her experiences while living in France and other places afterward were funny, sad but always delicious! Highly recommenced

July

Lazare: Gaston Leroux's Continued Investigation Concerning The Phantom of the Opera by K E Torwood

Lazare Gaston Leroux's Continued Investigation Concerning the Phantom of the Opera by K.E. Torwood

This was an ARC from Book Sirens. At first I didn't think i would like it but I ended up loving it! The author did an amazing job creating the world of The Opera Ghost! Definitive the Phantom still reigns in Paris! Also highly recommended if you like historical mysteries.

Next book is nonfiction. In summer? Yes!

Intelligence In Nature: An Inquiry into knowledge by Jeremy Narby

Intelligence in Nature An Inquiry Into Knowledge by Jeremy Narby

Very interesting book about plants and creatures like octopuses, butterflies and snails. Narby and his wife traveled to different places and interviewed scientists working on discovering how intelligent these creatures are. It is divided into about 150 pages of text and about 45 pages of notes. h. I admit I scummed through the notes. After all, it is summer!

My next book is so far my favorite of my reading summer: Valentine by Elizabeth Wetmore.

Valentine by Elizabeth Wetmore

It's about a Mexican girl who lives in Odessa Texas who is raped by a local white teenager and nearly kills her and the subsequent problems it created for the woman who turned the guy in. Being a native Texan I could really identify with the novel. Even though I am from North Texas, our state is pretty much still like this especially in small towns where if you are not Southern Baptist you will l go to hell and POC are still looked down upon as inferior beings that should never have entered this country. I could feel the heat and hate coming off the page. Things have not really changed much since the 1950s when the story took place and honestly I think we are moving backward here and it is a little scary to think about the future of this state. FANTASTIC NOVEL written by a native Odessian and was a Read With Jenna book pick. I imagine she and her mom had a lot of talking to do about this book because her mom grew up in Midland. next door to Odessa and considered a more refined city.

Another great ARC! A Deception At Thornecrest by Ashley Weaver

A Deception at Thornecrest (Amory Ames #7) by Ashley Weaver

It is set in a country village in England and #7 in the Amory Ames series. I have only read one of them, the first Murder At The Blackwell so I have some catching up to do! I rarely read a series in order myself so it was no big deal to read #7 and I really enjoyed it! I love cozy mysteries especially in the summer!

Finally, I finished Miracle Creek by Angie Kim

Miracle Creek by Angie Kim

I enjoyed the book discussion here and I read others reviews and questions fans were asking Kim so that helped in reading the book. It was so twisted and complicated but I liked it.

That's it for now and it is time for lunch so I best skedaddle and have some chow! :)

See y'all at the Sun Down Motel!

message 2: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8139 comments Great reviews, Ceelee, and some interesting picks. Quite the variety! I'm going to look up the Amory Ames series.

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14711 comments Ceelee: What a great list and such tempting descriptions. I absolutely love Julia Child! I grew up watching her cooking show on public television, and loved the movie and book Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen
I think I must read My Life in France too!

Valentine looks like a must read. (Indeed scary times)

Miracle Creek was twisty wasn't it! and a lively group read discussion.

Love your closing "See y'all at the Sun Down Motel!" ;)