Play Book Tag discussion

Red at the Bone
This topic is about Red at the Bone
August 2020: Other Books > Red at the Bone by Jacqueline Woodson - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8951 comments Well I enjoyed it - it was different. Its definitely the kind of book where I am thrilled to be discussing it in a book club together on Thursday. There's a lot to unpack. But my takeaway had something to do with the idea of Can You Have It All - and the sadness that you can't have certain life experiences simultaneously. And the sadness that comes from the trying to have both at once. And the repercussions that occur. Really interesting story...

Holly R W | 1442 comments Your book club discussion is sure to be interesting. I thought the book was beautifully written, but could not understand Iris' disconnect with her daughter.

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5671 comments Iris was so young when she had the baby. When you're young it's easy to feel you have a right to be selfish and do what you want. Most of us were allowed to do that to some extent. I don't blame her daughter for being resentful that she just wasn't there. She had plenty of loving adults around her and Iris knew she would be fine.

Amy, I agree. I'd like to believe that you CAN have it all, but just not all at the same time. It's not true for everything of course, and it's unfortunate that some things are just a lot easier when you're young - like getting pregnant. I wish fertility could peak later, to match maturity.