Around the World in 80 Books discussion

Archives > Nominate Our September Books of the Month

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane , Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane  | 12958 comments I apologize for the extended period for the current books of the month. Life has been hectic, to say the least. Let's get back on track!

Post your nominations here for the September group reads. A significant portion of the book must be set in the featured location. We will be reading a selection set in Malta, a world mystery, a book in translation from a woman writer, and a book relating to migration from Africa.

Malta*:
Nominate a book set in Malta.
Malta Book List: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Malta Bookshelf: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

World Mystery
Nominate a mystery novel set in one of the following locations in Mexico or Central America: Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Mexico, or Panama.

Migration
Nominate a book relating to migration from sub-Saharan Africa to another country. This can also include migration within Africa.

Women in Translation
Nominate a translated book from a female author from one of the following Asian countries: Afghanistan, India, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, or Uzbekistan. This must be a work originally written in language other than English and translated into English. Many authors from this region write in English, and that will not qualify.

For a list of books we have read in previous months, click here: Previously Read Group Read Books

*For our featured world country selection (this month it is Malta): If the book selected by popular vote is not written by a native or resident author of at least 1 year, the book written by a native/resident author with the highest votes will also be selected, resulting in two book selections for that country.

message 2: by Missy J (new)

Missy J (missyj333) | 222 comments Hi Diane! Thank you for managing and looking after this book club! I really appreciate it. Take care and stay safe.

For Malta, I would like to nominate Death in Malta by Rosanne Dingli.

message 3: by rebel (new)

rebel (followtheriver) | 65 comments Hi Diane, I'm glad to see you back! I was worried something had happened, so I hope all is well. Thank you for your work here.

For Malta, I nominate Far From Home by Kirsten Spiteri

message 4: by Maria (new)

Maria | 217 comments Migration: Season of Migration to the North by Tayeb Salih

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 1045 comments For Women in Translation, I nominate Abandon by Sangeeta Bandyopadhyay. (India)

message 6: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 1045 comments For World Mystery, I nominate An Easy Thing by Paco Ignacio Taibo II. It takes place in Mexico.

message 7: by Cat (new)

Cat | 4 comments For migration, I would like to nominate: An Orchestra of Minorities.

message 8: by Diane , Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane  | 12958 comments Nomination are closed.