Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Book page

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan Wilkins | 8 comments Could anyone help me with removing books from my authors page which are written by another Susan Wilkins and not me? I'm not sure how to deal with this. I don't think this other author has her own profile. Thanks.

message 2: by Sandra (last edited Aug 16, 2020 08:13AM) (new)

Sandra | 25221 comments Please list the books that aren't yours and a librarian will move them.

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan Wilkins | 8 comments The books that aren't mine are:
The Shadow of the Forest
Goldgiefa
Little Prince
William: the white slave

Many thanks!

message 4: by Suzi (new)

Suzi | 8667 comments Susan wrote: "Could anyone help me with removing books from my authors page which are written by another Susan Wilkins and not me? I'm not sure how to deal with this. I don't think this other author has her own ..."

The books are moved.

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan Wilkins | 8 comments Thanks for your help.
I also have a new book I want to include. Could you help me with this:
A Killer's Heart by Susan Wilkins
ASIN: * B085NWYMMT
I published this previously as SJ Wilkins — this is why it's not been included before. Thanks once again.

message 6: by Suzi (new)

Suzi | 8667 comments Susan wrote: "Thanks for your help.
I published this previously as SJ Wilkins — this..."

reviewing

message 7: by Suzi (new)

Suzi | 8667 comments Susan wrote: "Thanks for your help.
I published this previously as SJ Wilkins — this..."

1. I added the new covers with the alternate author name and added the paperback edition.

2. Goodreads keeps the original author as the primary author. I added Susan Wilkins as the secondary author.

3. If you would like to contact Goodreads support and ask them to change your author profile to Susan J. Wilkins, it will not be necessary to use 2 names on the work. Use this link: https://www.goodreads.com/about/conta...

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan Wilkins | 8 comments Okay. Thanks.
But this book has now been re-published just under the name Susan Wilkins. And this is the only name I'm writing under now.
Sorry for the confusion.
I just want it to be listed as Susan Wilkins.
Thanks.

message 9: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13759 comments Susan wrote: "Okay. Thanks.
But this book has now been re-published just under the name Susan Wilkins. And this is the only name I'm writing under now.
Sorry for the confusion.
I just want it to be listed as Sus..."

As Suzi says, it is Goodreads policy to keep the author the book was first published under as primary.

One of the reasons is that readers searching by the author name on the cover must be able to find the book in the database.

message 10: by Suzi (new)

Suzi | 8667 comments Susan wrote: "Okay. Thanks.
Sorry for the confusion.
I just want it to be listed as Sus..."

That's why I recommended asking Goodreads support to change your author profile name to Susan J. Wilkins, to avoid having to have 2 author names listed.

Do not change your author name yourself, it can create cascading issues.

If you choose to use that option contact Goodreads support at: https://www.goodreads.com/about/conta...

message 11: by Susan (new)

Susan Wilkins | 8 comments Thanks both of you for your advice. This is a confusing situation, I know, because the book will only now be available under the name Susan Wilkins. And I certainly don't want to alter the name of my author profile. That would be more confusing!

I will contact Goodreads support as you suggest.
But thank you for taking the time to deal with this. I appreciate it.

message 12: by Suzi (new)

Suzi | 8667 comments Adding an initial to your profile will not confuse readers, as this is a common issue with authors who use their names with or without initials on the covers of their various works.

Adding the "J." to your name will allow using only one name on the book that was published under S.J. Wilkins. It is the only option to use to have only one author name on that work.

I just wanted you to know your options.

message 13: by Susan (new)

Susan Wilkins | 8 comments Thanks, Suzi. I appreciate the time you've put into this. The problem now is that it also appears with the wrong cover.
What is available now on Amazon has a different cover and the name Susan Wilkins.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Killers-Hear...

The previous version is not available.

Is there any possibility of adding the new version to my author's page too?

message 14: by Joe (new)

Joe Mahoney (ilanderz) | 11 comments Hey Folks,;

The publisher for my novel A Time and a Place has unfortunately folded, resulting in the book being withdrawn from Amazon, etc. I've released a Second Edition version independently under Donovan Street Press and it's now available everywhere. The original Kindle version on my Goodreads page is no longer valid; clicking on the Amazon.ca link leads nowhere. I've added the new 2nd Edition version which leads successfully to Amazon Kindle.

Sorry for the long winded preamble. The question: how do I delete or merge the original Kindle version so that it doesn't lead to a defunct Amazon webpage?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Joe

message 15: by Suzi (new)

Suzi | 8667 comments Susan wrote: "Thanks, Suzi. I appreciate the time you've put into this. The problem now is that it also appears with the wrong cover.
What is available now on Amazon has a different cover and the name Susan Wilk..."

Only the primary author can set the default edition. Since the S.J. Wilkins profile is not claimed by anyone, the Goodreads system sets the default.

The new cover is there though: https://www.goodreads.com/work/editio...

message 16: by Sandra (last edited Aug 16, 2020 05:09PM) (new)

Sandra | 25221 comments #13/#15 Susan, re setting the default edition - contact support & ask them to set the new edition as the default, as you will be secondary author and can't do it yourself.

GR Authors and staff are the only ones who can do this.

message 17: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 25221 comments #14 Joe, we don't remove out of print editions as people like to shelve the edition they own or read. However, you as the author can determine which edition is the default.

Instructions for Default edition: https://help.goodreads.com/s/article/...

Out of Print Editions: https://help.goodreads.com/s/article/...
https://help.goodreads.com/s/article/...

message 18: by Joe (new)

Joe Mahoney (ilanderz) | 11 comments Makes sense... thank you, Sandra.