What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Hostage!
This topic is about Hostage!
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Children / Teen fiction - Kidnapping / hostage, probably 1970s, with character (possibly) called Tewfiq (?). [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alan (new)

Alan (alanjc) | 187 comments Age group: children / teen
Published: 1960s - mid 80s (read mid to late 1980s)
Origin: unknown, but most likely British
Subject:
Main character is kidnapped and held hostage (who he was, or why he was kidnapped, is lost to me). Most of the story consists of the interplay between the main character and the hostage takers. I can remember a thuggish character who terrorizes him, and a smarter, more cunning superior who is more psychological in his approach (both male), and possibly a third, female one who is more manipulative.

The only episode I can recall clearly is when the protagonist somehow assembles a home made gun from bits and pieces, but it is found before he can use it to threaten the kidnappers. One of them points out, while pulling his hair, that it would have blown his hand off if he had used it.

The only other detail I have may not be correct. I seem to recall one of the kidnappers, probably the senior of the three listed above, as being called Tewfiq.

I'm not sure on the dates, but am inclined to put it as 1970s: kidnapping was so 1970s.

Thanks again, all.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39582 comments Mod
Hostage! by James Hamilton-Paterson maybe? It has a protagonist named Wayne and a terrorist kidnapper named Tewfiq.

message 3: by Alan (new)

Alan (alanjc) | 187 comments Thanks Lobstergirl

Sounds quite likely, though I can't get much of a description of it. Can't imagine that there are too many books with characters called Tewfiq...

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Maybe one of the covers rings a bell?

https://www.goodreads.com/work/editio...

Here's another description of the book:

https://books.google.com/books?id=p_u...

message 5: by Alan (new)

Alan (alanjc) | 187 comments The cover doesn't do much for me one way or the other.

I can't get a description of this book, but will take your word for it that there is a Tewfiq in it. I can't imagine there being too many English-language books with characters called Tewfiq…

Thanks again Lobstergirl.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (last edited Aug 23, 2020 07:29PM) (new)

You're welcome.

If you search googlebooks on "Tewfiq" little snippets (sentences and sentence fragments) will pop up from book digests/library reference books. That's how I found the name "Wayne" and then searched on both terms and managed to find the title. With newer books on gb you can often preview inside the book and see full pages, but with older books often you can only see tiny snippets and you have to piece them together. Just FYI if you want to verify the book.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Hostage! (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

James Hamilton-Paterson (other topics)