Silver Screen Book Club discussion

Movie Discussions > War Films

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by W (new)

W | 355 comments Your favourite war films ?

message 2: by David (new)

David Putnam (davidputnam) | 7 comments Where the Eagles Dare, Full Metal Jacket, The Dirty Dozen, Saving Private Ryan, and Band of Brothers.

message 3: by Diana (new)

Diana | 8 comments Gettysburg, All Quiet on the Western Front, Journey's End, 1917, Midway, Courage under Fire

message 4: by Spencer (new)

Spencer Rich | 69 comments Strangelove, Apocalypse Now, Sgt. York, From Here to Eternity

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael Richards (michaelc1) Where Eagles Dare
The Great Escape
Patton
Sahara
Five Graves to Cairo
Stalag 17
They Were Expendable
Von Ryan's Express
Battleground
Bridge on the River Kwai
The Caine Mutiny
Mr. Roberts
Two others that IMDB put in the "War" genre: Lifeboat and Mrs. Minerva

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael Sparrow | 62 comments The Big Parade, Duck Soup, The Story of G.I, Joe, The Big Red One

message 7: by R (new)

R Pyle | 28 comments W wrote: "Your favourite war films ?"

Michael wrote: "Where Eagles Dare
The Great Escape
Patton
Sahara
Five Graves to Cairo
Stalag 17
They Were Expendable
Von Ryan's Express
Battleground
Bridge on the River Kwai
The Caine Mutiny
Mr. Roberts
Two others..."

My favorite "War" film is a Bogart film, "Sahara" (1943). Superbly done actioner that takes place in an African desert.

message 8: by W (new)

W | 355 comments War is my favourite movie genre,I have a very longish list.But,Paths of Glory,remains at the top of my list.Kubrick and Kirk Douglas struggled to bring it to the screen and ruffled quite a few feathers in the process.It's a masterpiece.

message 9: by W (new)

W | 355 comments Also,All Quiet on the Western Front,the b/w version is great.The book is a must read,too.

message 10: by Spencer (new)

Spencer Rich | 69 comments Paths of Glory is great. I will also bring up Across the Pacific. Flawed, but interesting.

message 11: by Anthony (new)

Anthony McGill (anthonym) | 162 comments THE BRIDGE/DIE BRUCKE (1959)
Excellent anti-war film and was the first such film to come out of West Germany since the end of WWII. Directed by Bernhard Wicki (one of the directors of "The Longest Day") and was a major hit with international film festivals and was nominated for Best Foreign-Language Film Academy Award and also chosen as one of the five foreign films awarded the Golden Globe.
In the final days of the War, a group of teenage boys are recruited as soldiers and assigned to guard a bridge in a small town during a futile battle.

message 12: by W (new)

W | 355 comments Haven't seen that one but there's another very acclaimed German film,Das Boot,a submarine drama.Very long and rather boring,though the ending is a surprise.
From Japan,the animated film,Grave of the Fireflies.A young boy and his even younger sister try to survive,in the aftermath of WWII.

message 13: by Betsy (last edited Oct 03, 2020 10:00AM) (new)

Betsy | 30 comments 'Das Boot' is one of my all-time favorites as is the book. The acting and the action scenes are great.

My favorite war film is 'Lawrence of Arabia' plus I like 'Gettysburg', 'Cross of Iron', 'The Cruel Sea', '5 Graves to Cairo', 'Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World', and so many more.

message 14: by Michael (new)

Michael Richards (michaelc1) Betsy wrote: "'Das Boot' is one of my all-time favorites as is the book. The acting and the action scenes are great.

My favorite war film is 'Lawrence of Arabia' plus I like 'Gettysburg', 'Cross of Iron', 'The ..."

I love watching "Master and Commander." That book series is on my TBR.