Play Book Tag discussion

Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong
This topic is about Lies My Teacher Told Me
August 2020: Other Books > Lies my Teacher Told Me by James Loewen 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rachel N. | 1546 comments Loewen spends most of the time in this book talking about areas where American history courses in high school leave out or deliberately mislead on subjects ranging from Columbus to the Vietnam War. I knew some of the information already, especially the Native American chapter since I took a Native American history course in college, but a lot of it was new to me. I knew Columbus did a lot of bad stuff but I didn't know how horrible he was to the natives of Haiti before this book. The author also devotes two chapters at the end of the book to why textbooks are written so badly and the effect teaching history this way has on students (it makes most of them bored and not remember anything). This book is well written though it gets a bit repetitive at times. It was also really dense and it took me a month to work my way through it.

message 2: by Holly R W (new)

Holly R W | 1439 comments It's an interesting topic. I was a psychology major in college. We were taught at the time that autism in children was caused by "refrigerator mothers," women who were very cold and with-holding to their children. We were also taught many other concepts that were later proven wrong.

In business graduate school at University of Michigan, my brother was told that computers and the internet would never amount to much. We laugh about that now.