What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Brontë Girls
This topic is about The Brontë Girls
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. The Brontë Girls: strict father raises 3 daughters named after the Bronte sisters (Charlotte, Emily and Anne). [s]

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charlie (new)

Charlie | 4 comments All I can really remember is that this book is based around a strict father who is raising his 3 daughters in quite an old fashioned way and that the daughters are named after the 3 Bronte sisters. I'm pretty sure he also has an older son named after a brother of the Bronte sisters but I think the son got into some sort of trouble and was no longer on speaking terms with the father.
I think the girls were being brought up isolated from anyone their own age, particularly boys. I THINK the story might have involved one of the 3 daughters getting pregnant but that could be a false memory. Book was not set in modern day, but obviously post Bronte sisters.

I probably read this book about 10 years ago when I was about 10, which is why my memory of it is particularly hazy. I do not think it was a book meant for children, as it covered some quite dark topics.

Thanks! I've been trying to find this book for 5 years but it's really difficult when you can only find results on the actual Bronte sisters so any suggestions are appreciated

message 2: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 20339 comments Hand-Me-Down has the right names, but the vibe of the book seems wrong?

message 3: by Charlie (new)

Charlie | 4 comments no it's definitely not that book, thanks anyway!!

message 4: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 20339 comments Didn't think so.

Every Woman for Herself doesn't seem quite right either?

message 5: by Charlie (new)

Charlie | 4 comments no not that one either! it was quite an old fashioned book, and none of the daughters were married as far as I remember

message 6: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4272 comments There's also The Brontë Girls but it doesn't appear to have a brother.

message 7: by Mary (new)

Mary Garth | 3 comments Could it be Coldwater?

message 8: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2502 comments Mod
Mary beat me to it by 5 minutes. I second Coldwater.

message 9: by Charlie (new)

Charlie | 4 comments ah it's The Brontë Girls! Having read one of the reviews, it seems like the father used the real life brother (Branwell) as an example rather than an actual brother in the story! Thanks everyone