Book Grocer Book Club discussion

Favourite Iso Reads

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by The Book Grocer (last edited Aug 14, 2020 10:39PM) (new)

The Book Grocer (thebookgrocer) | 8 comments Mod
What have been your favourite books to read from TheBookGrocer during isolation?

Mine has been Donna Tart's 'The Secret History'. I have read this book a few times now, and I always love to read it at this time of year snuggled up inside with a cup of tea. I feel like it gets better and better every time I read it! Has anyone else read this treasure? What are your thoughts?

- Brooke, The Book Grocer

C4EDA250-4D98-407B-962B-1D9268966884-F5549E5A-F65B-46F2-99B7-3A326BE836B3-01

message 2: by Oliver (new)

Oliver Karmel-Shann | 1 comments I haven't read The Secret History (yet..), however I did reread The Diary of a Young Girl during isolation earlier this year. Haunting, touching, so devastating. It really put into perspective how unfathomable their isolation was, especially compared to our own. There were also brief moments of familiarity, as she was working through the idea of being cut off from the world and (when I read it) the present-day world was collectively figuring out what being cut off feels like. Hard to explain, and actually that parallel feels trivial when thinking about their situation vs ours.. Regardless, a great book from a great writer who was just starting to find her voice.

Also, my Book Grocer wishlist is getting lengthy again! It might be time for another order 🤔

The Book Grocer (thebookgrocer) | 8 comments Mod
Oliver wrote: "I haven't read The Secret History (yet..), however I did reread The Diary of a Young Girl during isolation earlier this year. Haunting, touching, so devastating. It really put into perspective how ..." I read The Diary of a Young Girl recently too actually! I knew it was a well loved book by many, but it really did take me by surprise. I like your point about isolation, I read it just before the world was turned upside down - so it would be super interesting to see that perspective. Might be one to pop onto my re-read list!

(RE: another order - perfect timing too because we're doing free shipping on all orders over $50! )