Reading the Classics discussion

Past Group Reads > Summer Discussion for those who finished the book

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenn, moderator (new)

Jenn | 303 comments Mod
Hello classic literature lovers! Here is where we will discuss the book Summer by Edith Wharton. I am creating two threads, one for those who want to discuss the book as we are reading it, and another for those who want to wait until they finish the book. This thread is for those who have finished the book, so no need to hide spoilers.

message 2: by Alan (new)

Alan | 18 comments I was just checking you tube for material on Edith Wharton and I discovered a movie had been made of Summer. I haven’t finished the book yet but I don’t think I will watch it when I do. The visual completely changes the appreciation of the novel. I actually saw a clip of who plays Charity-really took me away from my reading of the story.

message 3: by Armin (new)

Armin (hellishome01) | 22 comments As the announcement came a little out of nowhere I decided to go with the audiobook on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENYSW...

message 4: by Bill (new)

Bill Kupersmith | 125 comments Royall seems to come out better than I’d expected. If the story had been written by a romantic, the mountain folk would have had a sort of hippie commune and Charity would have lived with them HEA. And if Edith Wharton were actually French, I expect Charity would have followed the example of Julia Hawes.

message 5: by Bill (new)

Bill Kupersmith | 125 comments In the scene where Charity and Harvey are surprised at the abandoned house, did Royall know that Harvey was engaged to Annnabel Balch?

message 6: by Jordi (new)

Jordi | 7 comments Bill wrote: "Royall seems to come out better than I’d expected. If the story had been written by a romantic, the mountain folk would have had a sort of hippie commune and Charity would have lived with them HEA...."

I love this response and kind of wish the novel ended this way, hah!

message 7: by Jerilyn (new)

Jerilyn | 50 comments I didn’t get the impression Royall knew that or would have cared to know such things in general.