Stephen King Fans discussion

Recommendations > Recs for a friend

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wyatt (new)

Wyatt | 90 comments A friend of mine wants to get into Stephen King, after years of me trying to get her to read him. She doesn’t like being scared, so I recommended a few. She is set on reading Firestarter, but what to rev after that? The Institute wasn’t as good in my opinion, so what’s next? Also, will Firestarter be good to get her hooked? She’s been reading a lot of YA recently, so maybe something similar in plot?

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Roch | 405 comments I'd say Firestarter's an excellent start. Then, perhaps, The Eyes of the Dragon. For shorter stuff, Different Seasons could be good.

message 3: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 4050 comments Different Seasons is great. Also, for those just stepping into King, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon and Joyland for starters. If you want classic King go with Firestarter, it's a great story.

message 4: by Scott (new)

Scott  Neumann (scottneumann) | 21 comments I agree, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, Joyland, or Hearts in Atlantis are less in your face scary with no gore.

message 5: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 4050 comments Scott wrote: "I agree, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, Joyland, or Hearts in Atlantis are less in your face scary with no gore."

I checked out the reviews you linked to Scott. I guess we should add that if you hate Baseball, you will probably not like The Girl since baseball plays a big role. Hearts is great, I definitely gave it five stars, but it is a little disjointed, but still wonderful with the Vietnam part a little weak.

message 6: by Todd (new)

Todd Glaeser | 39 comments I’d have to go with The Green Mile.