What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Diary of an Early American Boy
This topic is about Diary of an Early American Boy
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Pioneer boy in Maine. [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J (new)

J (plantknitter) | 4 comments non fiction or historical fiction about a boy and his family who go to Maine to create a homestead. They have to build a bridge, clears the woods, build a waterwheel and mill to cut the lumber to build their cabin. Probably republished in the '70s. Includeds diagrams about making their equipment. The boy was excited that he could have a "window" which was made with oiled paper.
It goes on into their farming and his experiences growing up.

message 2: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19593 comments Did you read it in the '70s?

How old was the boy in the story?

message 3: by J (new)

J (plantknitter) | 4 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Did you read it in the '70s?

How old was the boy in the story?"

yes read bought it in the 70's, and also read it a few years ago to my grandson. It starts out when he was around 10y/o .

message 4: by Jamie (last edited Aug 14, 2020 11:59AM) (new)

Jamie Dacyczyn (readsintrees) | 265 comments This sounds like Diary of an Early American Boy by Eric Sloane. Diary of an Early American Boy by Eric Sloane Sometimes it's part of a larger book called Eric Sloane's Sketches of America Past. I don't believe it was set in Maine specifically, but definitely New England. I don't recall the oiled paper window, but there's definitely a part where the boy (Noah) has his own window with a sliding shutter, and there's also an illustration that shows alternative window options, including using bottles as window glass.

This link shows a few of the illustrations...see if they look familiar: https://victoriaslibrary.com/2018/09/...

message 5: by Jamie (last edited Aug 14, 2020 12:02PM) (new)

Jamie Dacyczyn (readsintrees) | 265 comments It's also possible that you're thinking of The Sign of the Beaver by Elizabeth George Speare, or perhaps blending the one above with this book. This one is newer (early 80s) but it does ones take place in Maine, and I think the boy is promised an oiled paper window, though I don't think it has diagrams.

message 6: by J (new)

J (plantknitter) | 4 comments Jamie wrote: "This sounds like Diary of an Early American Boy by Eric Sloane. Diary of an Early American Boy by Eric Sloane Sometimes it's part of a larger book called [book:Eric Sloane's Sketc..."
YES! that's it, thank you so much.

message 7: by J (new)

J (plantknitter) | 4 comments Jamie wrote: "It's also possible that you're thinking of The Sign of the Beaver by Elizabeth George Speare, or perhaps blending the one above with this book. This one is newer (early 80s) but it ..."

That sound very interesting and will have to check it out, but the above comment was correct: Diary of an Early American Boy.

message 8: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Dacyczyn (readsintrees) | 265 comments Yay! Glad that was it! I own most of Eric Sloane's books and find them all fascinating!