Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Afterworld (Next Life, #1)
This topic is about Afterworld
Book Issues > Please add Afterworld to my author profile.

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by James (new) - added it

James G. Robertson (jamesgrobertson) | 26 comments Please add this book to my author profile. The educational book by the other James is not mine, however. Thank you.

message 2: by Suzi (new)

Suzi | 8667 comments James wrote: "Please add this book to my author profile. The educational book by the other James is not mine, however. Thank you."

1. You have a user profile, not an author profile. You can claim this by going to the author profile page here:

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

scroll down and click on the link that says is this you?

2. There is already an author with the same name.

3. Goodreads disambiguates between authors of the same name by using spaces before the author's last name.

4. Your author profile has 2 spaces: James G.^^Robertson, where the ^ equals a space.

5. When publications are automatically imported from Amazon or other sources, the "handshake' between Goodreads and the other source do not recognize multiple spaces, so the work goes to the default 1 space profile.

6. You can post in this forum to have it moved, or you can add the book with the 2 spaces before your last name before publication.

7. When you ask for assistance, it is helpful to include that your author profile has 2 spaces.

message 3: by James (new) - added it

James G. Robertson (jamesgrobertson) | 26 comments Ok sooo my author profile has 2 spaces. I tried to explain that there was already someone with the same name in the original post.

I'm not sure what you need to do that's why asked for assistance. Please move the book over to my account using any means at your disposal.

Thank you.

message 4: by Suzi (new)

Suzi | 8667 comments James wrote: "Ok sooo my author profile has 2 spaces. I tried to explain that there was already someone with the same name in the original post.

I'm not sure what you need to do that's why asked for assistance...."

1. Your account is a user profile.

2. I separated your work from the other author so you can claim the work.

3. Claim it here https://www.goodreads.com/author/show... as mentioned in my previous post.

4. Goodreads librarians are volunteers, not Goodreads staff, and cannot create a Goodreads author profile.

message 5: by James (new) - added it

James G. Robertson (jamesgrobertson) | 26 comments Hello, sorry to bother you again. It seems they are still together when I click that link you gave me. There is no option to claim the book. Sorry for the troubles!

message 6: by Scott (last edited Aug 14, 2020 10:47AM) (new)

Scott | 22298 comments James wrote: "Hello, sorry to bother you again. It seems they are still together when I click that link you gave me. There is no option to claim the book. Sorry for the troubles!"

There is only Afterworld on that profile now. If anything else is showing for you it's just a matter of page caching.

message 7: by James (new) - added it

James G. Robertson (jamesgrobertson) | 26 comments Not sure what's going on then. I've cleared my cache and history 3 times and still getting the same link as before. I guess I'll try waiting a few days. Thanks for the help.

message 8: by Scott (new)

Scott | 22298 comments James wrote: "Not sure what's going on then. I've cleared my cache and history 3 times and still getting the same link as before. I guess I'll try waiting a few days. Thanks for the help."

It's the site, not your browser.
If you click the link to "James G. Robertson’s books" right above the list, it will take you to a page that is usually updated immediately.

message 9: by Emily (last edited Aug 14, 2020 11:23AM) (new)

Emily | 14812 comments It is the Goodreads caching, not the users'. It should be gone in 2 days or so.

message 10: by Suzi (new)

Suzi | 8667 comments James wrote: "Not sure what's going on then. I've cleared my cache and history 3 times and still getting the same link as before. I guess I'll try waiting a few days. Thanks for the help."

try this link
https://www.goodreads.com/author/list...

message 11: by James (new) - added it

James G. Robertson (jamesgrobertson) | 26 comments Still has the other guys other book (average rating) at the top. And no where to claim as mine. I'm at a loss.

message 12: by Scott (new)

Scott | 22298 comments Ignore the ratings for now, they take a while to recalculate. The link to claim the profile is near the bottom of the full profile page. Here is the direct link:

https://www.goodreads.com/author/conf...

message 13: by Emily (new)

Emily | 14812 comments James wrote: "Still has the other guys other book (average rating) at the top. And no where to claim as mine. I'm at a loss."

Suzi moved it to a new profile for you to claim, see message 2 and 4

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 5314 comments Scott wrote: "Ignore the ratings for now, they take a while to recalculate. The link to claim the profile is near the bottom of the full profile page. Here is the direct link:

https://www.goodreads.com/author/c..."

That is a useful link!

I am also not seeing the "is that you" link on james's book. Tried a couple of other non GR authors as well with no luck. Maybe another bug?

message 15: by Scott (new)

Scott | 22298 comments I saw it, that's how I got that link.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 5314 comments Scott wrote: "I saw it, that's how I got that link."

Hmmm. Like James, I'm honestly not seeing the link - & I know where it should be.

message 17: by James (new) - added it

James G. Robertson (jamesgrobertson) | 26 comments I was able to submit the application via Scott's link (not sure how he got it 😅) but thank you! Hopefully all is well now.