Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Hi!

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mae (new)

Mae Thomas | 4 comments Hi! I'm Mae and I'm new here. I love reading and Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy is my favorite genre. I am always looking for recommendations. I read YA but I prefer adult books (bonus if it's super sexy). I can't wait to discover new books and make some friends.

message 2: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Schanz (jeffschanz) | 18 comments Welcome, Mae.
I would love to recommend books to you, but I don't read much anymore. Mainly spend my free time writing.
Loads of indie authors to check out here (including me perhaps). Good luck. :)

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 381 comments Some great recs are mentioned here in this thread, including quite a few from me!

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (freyabarrett) Try the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris.

message 5: by Cozen (new)

Cozen | 473 comments Here are a few of my top favorites:
Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1) by Ilona Andrews Burn for Me
(The hot and sizzling doesn’t come until book 2. But this is a well designed journey) by Ilona Andrews

Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night (Immortals After Dark, #3) by Kresley Cole Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night
Kresley Coles’s Immortals After Dark series is very well crafted and each book can technically stand alone.

Suzanne Wright series:

Feral Sins (The Phoenix Pack, #1) by Suzanne Wright Feral Sins (three series woven into each other).
Here Be Sexist Vampires (Deep In Your Veins, #1) by Suzanne Wright Here Be Sexist Vampires
Burn (Dark in You, #1) by Suzanne Wright Burn

Madeline Pryce has a good series
Dark Cravings (Dark, #1) by Madeline Pryce Dark Cravings

K.F. Breene has a couple of series too:

Born in Fire (Fire and Ice Trilogy, #1) by K.F. Breene Born in Fire

Into the Darkness (Darkness, #1) by K.F. Breene Into the Darkness

Jennifer Armentrout>

Wicked (A Wicked Trilogy, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout Wicked

Molly Harper series> Less sizzle and more humor. Also a different take on vampires.

Nice Girls Don't Bite Their Neighbors (Jane Jameson, #4) by Molly Harper Nice Girls Don't Bite Their Neighbors

She also has other series, but I haven’t read them yet.

Lexi Blake series:

Steal the Light (Thieves, #1) by Lexi Blake Steal the Light

Just off the top of my head. Read the sample pages first before deciding.

message 6: by BJ (new)

BJ (barbararhodes) | 50 comments Just reading all the books in this series, and loving the grouchy heroes - they are unreasonable, and I love them. This is the 1st book in the series. Basic Instinct

message 7: by L.A. (last edited Sep 15, 2020 06:33AM) (new)

L.A. Gardner (lagardner) | 5 comments Hi All!! I'm new to the group. But i'm super excited to be here! Some of my favorite authors includeC.N. Crawford Dark King (Court of the Sea Fae, #1) by C.N. Crawford , Linsey Hall Cursed Mate (Shadow Guild The Rebel #5) by Linsey Hall These are two that I just finished by them. Definitely worth the read!

message 8: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Gardner (lagardner) | 5 comments Cozen wrote: "Here are a few of my top favorites:
Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1) by Ilona AndrewsBurn for Me
(The hot and sizzling doesn’t come until book 2. But this is a well designed journey) by Ilona Andrew..."

K.F. Breene is one of my favorites too!!

message 9: by Cozen (last edited Sep 15, 2020 03:12PM) (new)

Cozen | 473 comments L.A. wrote: "Cozen wrote: "Here are a few of my top favorites:
Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1) by Ilona AndrewsBurn for Me
(The hot and sizzling doesn’t come until book 2. But this is a well designed journey) b..."

I like Ilona Andrews Hidden Legacy series (Burn for Me) and some of her Kate Daniel’s series (Magic bites). Though I’ve read all of their “The Edge” series, I wasn’t real excited about it and the Innkeeper’s Chronicles left me empty. Too much YA and less adult hot and sizzling for my taste. But I only read that first book in that series.

Currently I’m picking through Jennifer Ashley’s “Shifters Unbound” series Pride Mates (Shifters Unbound, #1) by Jennifer Ashley Pride Mates. I read the first book years ago And a couple others later on. I just pick out the books I think I’d like and read them in no real order. Ashley has a lot of in between books in that series so it’s a little bit jagged to follow without wondering why she just didn’t number them 1 through whatever. It’s not a bad series. More of a go to when I find myself needing to read a good book and haven’t found one in ages.

Most of the books I recommended above can be located at a local library (Kresley Cole’s Immortals After Dark series can be expensive). But since libraries are also shut most have an e-book lending program you can use. There’s an app LIBBY that can get you access to you local libraries (mostly). Oddly I’ve found where I was not able to rent an e-book through the library itself, sometimes I could through LIBBY. Weird, I know.

But if you’re looking for more suggestions, I can probably suggest others.

message 10: by Cozen (last edited Sep 15, 2020 03:32PM) (new)

Cozen | 473 comments L.A. wrote: "Hi All!! I'm new to the group. But i'm super excited to be here! Some of my favorite authors includeC.N. CrawfordDark King (Court of the Sea Fae, #1) by C.N. Crawford , Linsey Hall [book..."

Oh, and I’ll look into those two books you mentioned. Always looking for something interesting. So far more than 878 books I sampled and didn’t make the cut. But I still trudge on.

Do you enjoy dystopian books. I’ve been reading a new series by Eve Langlais [book:Toxic Dust|52065271] Toxic Dust (The Deviant Future, #1) by Eve Langlais . It’s a mixture of dystopian/paranormal/sci-fi (ish). Most of her stories are a hit or miss with me. ***for some reason the cover and link coding is not functioning correctly***

Her “Welcome to Hell” series A Demon and Her Scot (Welcome to Hell, #3) by Eve Langlais A Demon and Her Scot and A Demon and His Witch (Welcome to Hell, #1) by Eve Langlais A Demon and His Witch is a fun series.

And really admirable, she seems to be releasing book after book lately. I’m not sure if she had those books published years ago and is re-releasing them or if this pandemic has made her a shut-in and making her do nothing but write. Either way, try the samples before you decide.

message 11: by Cozen (last edited Sep 15, 2020 03:37PM) (new)

Cozen | 473 comments Here. This is better Toxic Dust (The Deviant Future, #1) by Eve Langlais Toxic Dust. I don’t know why the cover and link wasn’t working right above. It would show one or the other but not both or any. Strange.

P.S. Langlais is like a master of world building. If anything, is not all her stories are appealing, the one thing that she does do is a phenomenal job at world building.

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 381 comments Cozen wrote: "L.A. wrote: "... Currently I’m picking through Jennifer Ashley’s “Shifters Unbound” series Pride Mates (Shifters Unbound, #1) by Jennifer Ashley. I read the first book years ago And a couple others later on. I just pick out the books I think I’d like and read them in no real order. Ashley has a lot of in between books in that series so it’s a little bit jagged to follow without wondering why she just didn’t number them 1 through whatever. It’s not a bad series. More of a go to when I find myself needing to read a good book and haven’t found one in ages. ..."

This is one of my favourite series overall despite not loving all the romances (too much insta love and some had me yawning) and first few being a tad on the 'rough' side writing-wise. The overall series premise and the worldbuilding is what I love. I do find the series easy to follow given that they are numbered here on GR in the correct order.

message 13: by Cozen (last edited Sep 16, 2020 12:04AM) (new)

Cozen | 473 comments kittykat (Jo Tortitude) wrote: "Cozen wrote: "L.A. wrote: "... Currently I’m picking through Jennifer Ashley’s “Shifters Unbound” series Pride Mates (Shifters Unbound, #1) by Jennifer Ashley. I read the first book years ago And a couple others later o..."

The numbering issue I have is with the:

Books

And that is actually the book numbering sampling from Pride Mates series. The same goes for Kate Daniels series. When this happens it’s like a diversion from the main characters to a side story (in manga this would be called a filler). Often times you have to read them to follow the story, but that really depends on the writer. Some times I get to book 9 and see that there’s an extra 4.5 book (usually a novella) and feel I have to go back in order to read it whether I want to or not.

It just causes me anxiety to deal with them.

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 381 comments Cozen wrote: "The numbering issue I have is with the:
It just causes me anxiety to deal with them. "

Ah, ok that makes sense. I don't have that issue because I have another one... I make sure to read completed series' only, in order and that includes ALL of it, side stories and all, and for the most part, I binge the entire series. I occasionally break my rule, (although rarely for PNR/UF as I learnt my lesson the hard way) but my anxiety comes from some of the very times I do that.

In fact, I broke my completed series only rule for the Shifters Unbound because at 11.5 books I couldn't wait any longer. At least there was a substantial enough amount to satisfy me!

Another thing that gives me anxiety about it all is when I hear other people saying they they deliberately read a series out of order, even if they are those supposed 'each title stands on it's own'... I just can't handle that 🤣.

message 15: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Gardner (lagardner) | 5 comments Haha I try to do the same thing. But sometimes I end up reading a book without waiting for the complete series and then I get so annoyed with myself. I have no impulse control!! 🤣

Thalassophile_takemetotheocean (thalassophile-takemetotheocean) | 6 comments Hawaiian Heroes series by Cathryn Cade. There's 4 books.
These were so good! 😉

Also, anything by Tijan, Melissa Foster, Kandi Steiner, and L.J. Shen