What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Books where a Young Girl goes on an Adventure

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elizabeth ♛Smart Girls Love Trashy Books♛  (pinkhairedwannabe) | 251 comments Hi! This is something I've had on my mind as of late. I couldn't think of any myself so I thought I'd ask for some extra help. I'm looking for books about a young girl going on an adventure or quest of some kind. I'd prefer fantasy, obviously, though any genera would work aside from contemporary. Age demographic doesn't matter; it could be for adults, YA, or middle-grade. I'd prefer for the girl to be on her own but it's fine if she gains a companion or two on her journey. I'd love stuff in the same vein/vibe as The Talisman or The Golden Compass. Aside from that, I'm not too picky, I'll read basically anything if it looks interesting enough, so go for it!

message 2: by Nora (new)

Nora | 17 comments Tuesdays at the Castle Middle grade.
Where the Mountain Meets the Moon Middle grade, but I know a lot of adults who have enjoyed it.

Elizabeth ♛Smart Girls Love Trashy Books♛  (pinkhairedwannabe) | 251 comments Anisha_book_lover wrote: "The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making

How young do you want the girl to be?"

Not too young, anywhere from eleven up to late teenage years is fine by me

message 4: by Julia (last edited Aug 16, 2020 09:07AM) (new)

Julia | 69 comments Inkheart comes to mind (middle-grade fantasy), although Meggie has many companions and the story follows many people.

This book series is out of print, but you can try Flora Segunda and its sequels. I found my copies from Thriftbooks, but Abebooks might have it, and it is available on Kindle. Middle-grade fantasy, but very quirky and unique. You can check out companion stories for background info/world-building.

I liked Ruined, but it is the start of a fantasy trilogy, and I haven't read past book one, which ended on a cliffhanger. In the story, Emelina's sister is kidnapped, and Em goes out to rescue her by pretending she is the bride sent to marry the prince.

message 5: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1146 comments Castle Hangnail by Ursula Vernon (although the main character does have many companions, I still strongly recommend it) Castle Hangnail

Sorrow's Knot by Erin Bow Sorrow's Knot

Mars Evacuees by Sophia McDougall Mars Evacuees

message 6: by ...cats? (new)

...cats? | 426 comments Song of the Lioness series by Tamora Pierce
Coraline by Neil Gaiman (leans more horror than fantasy)
The Great Good Thing by Roderick Townley
Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu
May Bird and the Ever After by Jodi Lynn Anderson

message 7: by Helena (new)

Helena | 36 comments You might like The School for Good and Evil which is two girls experiencing an adventure instead of one, but it's really engaging.

If you liked The Golden Compass you might also like Firstlife, which is a YA fantasy book about a teenage girl. H20 is also good if you like sci-fi. These two books are more adult though.

message 10: by Ket (new)

Ket | 164 comments 13 Little Blue Envelopes

message 11: by Kale (new)

Kale | 38 comments Sabriel by Garth Nix is very good. It's the first in a series.

Elizabeth ♛Smart Girls Love Trashy Books♛  (pinkhairedwannabe) | 251 comments A lot of these are on my To-Read list already but there's a lot of others that look really interesting! Keep them coming!

message 13: by Gillian (new)

Gillian | 262 comments The Dark Hills Divide (The Land of Elyon, #1) by Patrick Carman The Dark Hills Divide by Patrick Carman (middle-grade)
A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1) by Madeleine L'Engle A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (middle-grade/young adult)
East (East, #1) by Edith Pattou East by Edith Pattou (YA)
Un Lun Dun by China Miéville Un Lun Dun
by China Mieville (YA)
The Twelve Kingdoms Sea of Shadow (The Twelve Kingdoms, #1) by Fuyumi Ono by Fuyumi Ono (YA)

Anything by Tamora Pierce