Play Book Tag discussion

Be More Chill
This topic is about Be More Chill
August 2020: Other Books > (Poll Ballot Tally) Be More Chill by Ned Vizzini - 2 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

annapi | 5117 comments This is the book form of the musical Be More Chill. It will forever be a mystery to me how a terrible book can become a great musical, not that I've seen this one yet. (Wicked is the gold standard for this, not that I've read it yet...) But it's about nerds trying to be cool and getting help from the "squip", a microcomputer in pill form that cues you mentally on how to act to not be a loser.

I knew there were a lot of negative reviews for this, but I was so impressed with the Dear Evan Hansen book I thought I would chance it. Fortunately for me, this book was short. Unfortunately, it was still a trial to go through, especially in the beginning, particularly the stream-of-consciousness of Jeremy's thoughts that leave you feeling extremely icky. It got a little better plot-wise after Jeremy swallows the squip, especially when he interacts with Christine, but all that did was raise my rating from 1 to 2 stars, just because I was able to finish the book and I've heard the musical is good. I could go on, but I've already wasted enough time on this.

message 2: by Joi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3830 comments Lol, we all keep reading this, and we all keep hating it.

If you are interested in the musical, there is currently a "slime tutorial" of the London production on youtube that is up. (it's a bootleg but shhhh).