Skokie Public Library discussion

A Princess in Theory (Reluctant Royals, #1)
This topic is about A Princess in Theory
A Princess in Theory Discussions > Question 2: Read or listen?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tiffany Breyne | 450 comments Did you read or listen to the book? How was your experience?

message 2: by Diana (new) - added it

Diana La Cazadora (strawberrykiss) | 195 comments I listened to the book because it's much easier for me, and I'm glad I did. I think the narrator did a good job with the exception of her Puerto Rican accent. To be fair, I do not know what a Lesotho (or Thesolo) or any southern African language sounds like, but the narrator seemed more comfortable and consistent with that one. I was surprised that even the content that was emoji texts seemed to flow pretty smoothly.

Becca Boland | 922 comments Mod
I listened to it and I thought it was a fabulous audiobook. The accents were great and not distracting. She did a wonderful job with both the male and female characters. Would highly recommend.

message 4: by Panichaya (new)

Panichaya | 19 comments That's great to know! I read it because I'm not a big fan of audiobooks, but maybe I'll try listening to it.

message 5: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 498 comments I tend not to be big on audio, unless it's a podcast or something of that nature. To each their own, though.

Allyson | 155 comments I read it the first time and am listening to it now. I loved reading it, but I think I'm enjoying the audio more! Some of the inflections are different that I imagined them and I'm finding myself more engaged this time around.

message 7: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary Nicholas | 3 comments I listened to it, twice actually. I really enjoyed it!

Tiffany Breyne | 450 comments I listened as well, and really liked the narration. I've had some bad narrator experiences lately, so I was so glad this worked well! I liked the subtle nuances the narrator used for each character, without being too extreme.

For those who are listeners, the second book is a little harder to listen to because the narrator is forced to do a Scottish brogue and it is clearly the first time she has had to do that particular accent. BUT it didn't distract me so much that I didn't enjoy it.

message 10: by Diana (new) - added it

Diana La Cazadora (strawberrykiss) | 195 comments Becca wrote: "For those who are listeners, the second book is a little harder to listen to because the narrator is forced to do a Scottish brogue and it is clearly the first time she has had to do that particula..."

The Scottish accent was not good, but the narrator powered through, lol. The German/French one in the 3rd is also not her best, but it's an invented one which gives her more cushion, I think.

Agreed. It's a lot easier to do an accent when there is no reference for it. LOL

Allyson | 155 comments I was just thinking that this is a great summer for me to listen to romance since I'm not driving anywhere these days-- usually I listen to audiobooks in the car but I typically drive with my windows open in the summer-- makes for some awkward moments at stop lights.

@Tiffany - I feel like audiobooks (in general) have improved SO MUCH in the past 5 years. I wouldn't even read a fraction of what I read now if I didn't listen to audiobooks.

message 14: by Panichaya (new)

Panichaya | 19 comments I'm just too used to Japanese drama cd type of audio. They get multiple voice actors and actresses to voice each role.

Panichaya wrote: "I'm just too used to Japanese drama cd type of audio. They get multiple voice actors and actresses to voice each role."

There are those! "Full Cast" audio!

message 16: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 498 comments I think's that's becoming more common now. Like the all-star voice cast for Lincoln in the Bardo.

message 17: by Panichaya (new)

Panichaya | 19 comments Becca wrote: "Panichaya wrote: "I'm just too used to Japanese drama cd type of audio. They get multiple voice actors and actresses to voice each role."

There are those! "Full Cast" audio!"

Ooooh! That's great! I need to check those out!