EVERYONE Has Read This but Me - The Catch-Up Book Club discussion

RECOMMENDATION REQUESTS > Horror Stories Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kyra (new)

Kyra Keeton | 253 comments I will be teaching a "Horror Stories" class this year for 7th graders if we go in-person. I am planning on studying short stories in class and then creating a list of optional novels to read outside of class. I think I know which short stories we will be reading, but feel free to recommend away. But what I really need is recommendations for novels that fall in the horror genre and would be good for 7th graders. Please and thank you :)

message 2: by Kaseadillla (new)

Kaseadillla | 1357 comments Mod
Have you read The Screaming Staircase? It's the first book in a 5 part series, paranormal horror/mystery series about young ghost hunters, likely around the same age as your students. It may be on the scarier side? But I thought they were very well done.

message 3: by Ines (new)

Ines (imaginary_space) How old are your 7th graders? (I get confused with different countries counting grades differently, I'm sorry.)

message 4: by Kyra (new)

Kyra Keeton | 253 comments Kaseadillla wrote: "Have you read The Screaming Staircase? It's the first book in a 5 part series, paranormal horror/mystery series about young ghost hunters, likely around the same age as your student..."

I hadn't heard of it but it sounds really interesting. The scariness shouldn't be an issue because I will be having their parents sign a paper basically saying their child has the options and can read any of the books on the list. I will most likely be adding this one.

message 5: by Kyra (new)

Kyra Keeton | 253 comments Ines wrote: "How old are your 7th graders? (I get confused with different countries counting grades differently, I'm sorry.)"

7th graders are usually 12 or 13 years old.

message 6: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Don't forget H.P. Lovecraft!

And there's also Who Goes There? by John W. Campbell Jr.

message 7: by Jaclyn (new)

Jaclyn (jackyrin) | 81 comments Stephen King’s the Body and the girl who loved Tom Gordon would be good for that age group... I do think there was some cursing, but nothing totally awful. Boys Life by Robert Mccanmon is also a great one, it’s not totally horror but it has those elements. Coraline would be super fun and it’s short. I’ll come back to this thread if I think of anything else ❤️ love this idea for a class, wish I’d have had options like this as a kid.

message 8: by Kyra (new)

Kyra Keeton | 253 comments I was planning on using The Body for during school study but I didn't think of Tom Gordon. I've been trying to think of a good Stephen King novel to put on the optional list but I'm just not sure. And since I just moved here I don't know the community that well to know how conservative or liberal the parents are with what their kids read. I was thinking maybe Salem's Lot or maybe Pet Cemetery, but I've actually never read either.
I know! When they told me I get to teach this, I was really excited. But it's a reading intervention class that is supposed to use "high interest" books to help kids get more excited about reading.

message 9: by Kaseadillla (new)

Kaseadillla | 1357 comments Mod
Others that I thought of...

Goosebumps series - there are so many of them! Welcome to Dead House is the first, but they are all standalone books.
The Westing Game - I LOVED this one
Nancy Drew books? More mystery than horror

message 10: by Barbara (new)

Barbara A few short stories that were good horror stories:
To Serve Man, by Damon Knight - a classic
Two Bottles of Relish, by Lord Dunsany
The Monkey's Paw, WW Jacobs

message 11: by Kyra (new)

Kyra Keeton | 253 comments I’m planning on using Monkey’s Paw for the next group. This school had the teachers do about 5 weeks of orientation during the intervention class so I’m really only getting 4 weeks with the first quarter group. I’m hoping to finish Sleepy Hollow and a Poe story with them. But I’ll get the second group for the full 9 weeks.

Also, I put the Westing Game on their optional novel list and I already have one of them reading it!

message 12: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Not a horror story but one with a very good surprise ending and one that appeals to middle school readers is "Charles" by Shirley Jackson, who wrote the classic "The Lottery."

message 13: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Cunis | 2 comments ItchiwanbyJ.J. Cunis
This is a story about 4 - 13 year olds who find a time portal in the woods in 1968 and inadvertently unleash an evil native American legend on 1992 and various other times. It's up to them to try and close the Pandora's box they opened. There are a number of violent scenes and explicit language as used by boys who just discovered curse words and wear them out. (Not so much when they are older)