The Debating Club! discussion

T.V Shows/Movies/Plays Musicals > Books turned to Movies...What's your opinion?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

ヽ(◉ᗜ◉)ノ ♥ Sushi Roll ♥ | 184 comments Mod
Do you like it when books are turned into movies?

message 2: by amia (new)

amia (makevocaloidgreatagain) yes, except for the percy jackson and artemis fowl movies. those were absolute garbage

message 3: by Raphaella (new)

Raphaella It really depends on the book and the movie's casting, the dialogue, etc.
For example, I didn't really like the Narnia books but I did enjoy the movies.
Harry Potter movies on the other hand were not my cup of tea.

message 4: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie Stone | 146 comments I don't like watching movies that are originally books. To me, it just ruins a good book and I like reading better anyway.

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate I'm pretty neutral on this topic for a few reasons:

Reason #1: Some adaptations are better than others. You can have Little Women (2019 version) that was amazing and built around the story amazingly, and then you can have something like Percy Jackson, that ruined the story and made a lot of people furious (me included). It all depends on who the screenwriters and directors are.

Reason #2: One of the reasons people do movie adaptations is for the money. You take an already successful book or book series and turn it into a movie that, not only fans of the book(s) will watch, but a ton of other people too. Sometimes, in order to appease a bigger audience, they change a lot of the story line. Not only do the book lovers feel cheated, but less people want to watch it because it has poor ratings. Now, not all book adaptations are bad. I can name a few off the top of my head that I really enjoyed, but it's a gamble on whether it'll be true to the story or not.

Counter Argument: While it is a gamble on whether the adaptation will be a good one, there are some reasons to like it. 1) More people join the fandom and even your non-reader friends can talk to you about it, 2) It's so fun to see a really good adaptation and it just makes you feel so good and happy, 3) You get more content on it like references when you're drawing fan art, more fan fics, more YouTube videos about it, ect. And, if done right, it can expand and add on to the already amazing story that the book was.

message 6: by Nikita (new)

Nikita My only opinion is as long as they stay true to the book and be respectful to the fans, I'm good. Want more Hunger Games, Maze Runner and Harry Potter and less Divergent, Mortal Instruments and Percy Jackson. If someone wants to turn book to film, read the book, understand why fans love the book and don't make their own version of the book.

message 7: by Cat (new)

Cat Carstairs | 42 comments Kate wrote: "I'm pretty neutral on this topic for a few reasons:

Reason #1: Some adaptations are better than others. You can have Little Women (2019 version) that was amazing and built around the story amazing..."

Amazingly said! I agree 100%! :)

message 8: by Nikita (new)

Nikita -Ava- wrote: "One book that was turned into a movie that I disliked was Percy Jackson. The movie was pretty disappointing... I mean I expected camp half blood to be a more exciting but..."

I expected the characters to be kids not teenagers

message 9: by Kate (new)

Kate -Ava- wrote: "That too! And for Annabeth to well look like how she was described in the book"

Also, they kinda ruined Grover for me 😔

https://64.media.tumblr.com/c8f511859...

message 10: by Ãyesha (new)

Ãyesha | 4 comments ALWAYS READ THE BOOK(S) FIRST!!! I highly recommend it, or just read the books. The movies can disappoint u SO much. like with characters, for example.

message 11: by Lilli Gilliam (last edited Sep 07, 2020 06:42PM) (new)

Lilli Gilliam Example of why i prefer the books over the movies
Percy Jackson

message 12: by Lilli Gilliam (new)

Lilli Gilliam Its like the directors havent even read the book 😣😣😣😣😐😐😑😑

message 13: by Aizlyn [REST], stop Procrasinating mate~ (new)

Aizlyn [REST] | 81 comments Mod
I haven't read the books or watched the Percy Jackson but as far as i've heard it seems like the directors were about to be sued XD

daughterofathenacarli | 76 comments I like some adaptions, but not others. For example, i loved the Hunger Games movies, but i hated the PJO ones.

message 15: by Toph Beifong (new)

Toph Beifong (sirija12) | 4 comments like so many here have already pointed out, some films fail to stay true to the books and often times so much of the plot is changed that it's clearly nothing more than a ploy to lure the loyal fanbase of the book to the theatres.
also there are some books that cannot be adapted because books and movies have entirely different ways of conveying a narrative and in many instances the filmmakers fail to capture the beauty of the book's writing style and the inner turmoil of the characters among many other things that make the book what it is.

Tisha (On partial hiatus) | 7 comments I absolutely LOVE the PJO books but seriously, the movies were kinda garbage.
They ruined Annabeth's appearance
Percy and Annabeth were 16
It just took 3 minutes for Percy to figure out his father
for some dumb reason Percy and Annabeth were on opposing teams in capture the flag
The trio was travelling around the USA trying to find three pearls that were a gift in the books
Hades was not like...well Hades

Tisha (On partial hiatus) | 7 comments But I was a potterhead for about a year and I loved the movies and the books