The Debating Club! discussion

Debates: Books > Harry Potter....What's your opinion?

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

ヽ(◉ᗜ◉)ノ ♥ Sushi Roll ♥ | 184 comments Mod
Do you like this series or not?
Debate on this...

message 2: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany I disliked it. I feel that the plot is often contrived (Especially in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows), the characters are two-dimensional (for example, what do Fred and George have distinct from each other?) and the writing is clunky and awkward.

message 3: by Raphaella (new)

Raphaella I liked the books better than the movies but I agree that although the books are many, there's little character development (at least as I see it) and the characters are way too one-dimensional to be believable.
Overall, I'd say I liked it better than the movies, mainly because I liked the world building a little more Thani twas portrayed in the movies.

message 4: by amia (new)

amia (makevocaloidgreatagain) i liked it but then jk rowling’s terf ideas ruined it for me

rose - 忻怡 - (_imperfection) I liked it at first as it's a fantastic series and really magical but when I started Percy Jackson, I started realizing what a whiny idiot Harry is. I mean, hey, he's nothing compared to Percy. He's just lucky every time and people are worshipping him just because of his luck to escape death??!! That sounds rather incredulous to me.
Overall, the main characters should be depicted as more believable and realistic except just writing them from the perspective of a child. The romance could also improve a lot, not just wow, Harry kissed Ginny, and timeskip... they're married and I was like "What?!"
I loved the wizarding world and the idea of Hogwarts as well as all its activities but I just can't stand the characters. Maybe if the story was written in the Maraunders era, the book would be a lot more unforgettable? Idk, I just kinda liked the characters like Snape, Sirius, James, Lily, Remus and Peter... they're much more diverse and imperfect and I love it.

message 6: by Nikita (new)

Nikita I can't find someone who doesn't like Harry Potter because it has something for someone. I love it. I first saw the movies and finally read the books in 2016. It took me forever to finally get around to reading them and OMG I love them more than I do the films. I just can't decide who is my favorite character. I was apart of Pottermore when it first launched and boy I had fun. Ravenclaw BTW. When it changed, I closed my account. It was no fun when they took away the games and stories.

message 7: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany I dislike Harry Potter. So it doesn't necessarily have something for everyone.

message 8: by Nikita (new)

Nikita Tiffany wrote: "I dislike Harry Potter. So it doesn't necessarily have something for everyone."

*gasp*

message 9: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany You must have skipped my comment if you're surprised, Nikita. Mine's really close to the top. I gave reasons why I disliked Harry Potter.

message 10: by Lilli Gilliam (new)

Lilli Gilliam I first started the series thinking I was going to hate it, but I LOVED it!

message 11: by Cat (new)

Cat Carstairs | 42 comments I'm neutral on this, but I think it's a cool concept for a middle grade series. It's a little dark with all the witchcraft-y stuff, but I see why people enjoy it. It's something, like any other fandom, that people can talk about together. The rides at Universal Studios are awesome too.

message 12: by Lilli Gilliam (new)

Lilli Gilliam I know a lot of people are giving up Harry Potter considering what J.K. Rowling is saying, but the series means so much to me, and I don't know I could ever give them up!
I did stop recommending Harry Potter to friends and fellow readers looking for their next book! I am not reading any more of her books, and I refuse to support her or give her money.

message 13: by Lilli Gilliam (new)

Lilli Gilliam One thing I HATED about HP was that Slytherin really didn't get much recognized, it's almost as if J.K. hated that house.

message 14: by Lуηη (new)

Lуηη Fantasy and Felines wrote: "I know a lot of people are giving up Harry Potter considering what J.K. Rowling is saying, but the series means so much to me, and I don't know I could ever give them up!
I did stop recommending H..."

Rowling said?

message 15: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Rowling made extremely offensive comments about transgender people.

daughterofathenacarli | 76 comments I HATE Harry Potter. I know people will hate me for this, but HP was just not for me. The writing style was boring and dull. Plus, there was absolutly no humor in the books, and it is not funny at all. And, not to mention how homophobic JK Rowling is, why would someone ever want to support such an awful author is a mystery to me.

message 17: by Sadieeeee (new)

Sadieeeee (sadieperson) @daughterofathenacarli, I so agree with u. Apart from the hate part . . . I dislike it, but it’s not THAT bad

message 18: by Aizlyn [REST], stop Procrasinating mate~ (new)

Aizlyn [REST] | 81 comments Mod
tbh its been a while since i have read the books, i found Rowling's comments greatly offensive, also because i loved this story so much! I agree when people say the characters felt very 2D, i completely agree, Rowling's writing style mainly focuses on the plot and world building and gotta say her most complex and well written character has to be Snape, he has the most depth in the story than that of Harry, so yeah HP is a great series and ig it fits in the Fantasy genre as its the World which is its ult feature

Medea_of_Hufflepuff! | 54 comments Mod
True......

message 20: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie Stone | 146 comments I hadn't gotten around to reading this until the end of last year. I loved it and I really don't let what an author says affect a good book in my mind. I also wasn't even a fan yet and still don't know exactly what she said. If I knew, I would be able to make my own conclusions.

message 21: by SheWolf 139 (new)

SheWolf 139 PERCY JACKSON IS WAYYY BETTER! #percyjackson4life!

Medea_of_Hufflepuff! | 54 comments Mod
ok
HP IS MY LIFE! IT IS SOO AWESSOME