The Debating Club! discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Fun Debate topics > Is it appropriate to allow students to create their own curriculam?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

OmniscientPerson (saumyashinde) | 197 comments Mod
Hmm, should students be allowed to create their own curriculum? Or is the government and teachers creating it for us fine?

message 2: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Teachers should create it. Students simply don't have enough experience or knowledge, while teachers have degrees in this stuff.

message 3: by amia (new)

amia (makevocaloidgreatagain) teachers should make it, because if students made it the curriculum would probably be things like how to play video games and stuff that’s not educational

Maddie (Inking & Thinking) Teacher should make it. They have more experience and have gotten a degree for it. Students are still learning and growing.

message 5: by Haleema (new)

Haleema Q | 9 comments Yep teachers should

ヽ(◉ᗜ◉)ノ ♥ Sushi Roll ♥ | 184 comments Mod
Yes, students should be able to create curriculums, but with certain restrictions. It would be a great learning experience for those who want to grow up and become teachers. However, teachers should supervise, or give tips on how to do it. But a student shouldn't be able to create a curriculum for there grade. So for example, the student's in Middle school should create a curriculum for younger kids in elementary school.

message 7: by Nikita (new)

Nikita children should not be in charge of their education

message 8: by rose - 忻怡 - (last edited Aug 14, 2020 01:18AM) (new)

rose - 忻怡 - (_imperfection)
Actually in my school, it's the students that plan our curriculum activities. Teachers merely act as advisors or mentors and guide us so that we won't plan rubbish activities. I think this is an excellent way for us to learn discipline and planning skills which are incredibly vital in our everyday lives. Responsibility is definitely important and they could be nurtured by letting us be in charge.

message 9: by Nikita (new)

Nikita They can learn discipline, planning skills and responsibility anyway by a curriculum created by a good teacher. Teachers go through hours and hours to plan a good curriculum, follow states law and policies to ensure that their students experience and gain a good education. Letting kids plan their own education won't let them grow because they won't know that they are gaining anything on state level. How can they? Do they go to meetings? Do they know what's needed to go to the next grade? Teachers do.

Letting teachers be advisors, guides? You mean babysitters while kids play. Schools should already have advisors/counselors if students need someone to talk to about something other than their class work. Teachers are to be the teachers to teach kids what they need to know, not the kids.

message 10: by rose - 忻怡 - (new)

rose - 忻怡 - (_imperfection) Well, have you heard of the 21st century teaching guideline? Teachers no longer spoon feed students with everything. In class, it's the students that share their ideas and talk while the teachers merely act as a guide. Spoon feeding them with schedules and curriculum created by teachers won't help at all. It is the students who have to learn to plan themselves. If the planning is imperfect, then reject it! It isn't like students are bullying the teachers?! Teachers still have a right to comment on the programmes planned and even record the students' attendance. If they're absent, demand a reason and give them warnings. If they play during meetings, intervene and give out punishments. Who said teachers are to be controlled by students?

message 11: by rose - 忻怡 - (new)

rose - 忻怡 - (_imperfection) Omg I read through that myself and found it a bit...wild. I don't mean to personally insult or what, that's just what I think so sorry if I offended you

message 12: by Cat (new)

Cat Carstairs | 42 comments Tiffany wrote: "Teachers should create it. Students simply don't have enough experience or knowledge, while teachers have degrees in this stuff."

Yes, I agree.

message 13: by OmniscientPerson (new)

OmniscientPerson (saumyashinde) | 197 comments Mod
Rose wrote: "Well, have you heard of the 21st century teaching guideline? Teachers no longer spoon feed students with everything. In class, it's the students that share their ideas and talk while the teachers m..."

I totally agree with that.

daughterofathenacarli | 76 comments I think it should be a mixture of both. Like for example, if you left everything up to the class, we probably would play video games all day. But we can have students help with things such as choosing the books we read every year, as long as they are school appropriate and not too easy.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.