The Debating Club! discussion

Debates: Books > *spoilers*Should Tris have died in the movie? Or should she have lived in the book?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

OmniscientPerson (saumyashinde) | 197 comments Mod
In the movie, Divergent, Tris didn't die. But in the book she did.
Well, like our topic, should Tris have died in the movie? Or should she have lived in the book?

message 2: by Cat (new)

Cat Carstairs | 42 comments I think that Tris should've died in the movie. Firstly, the books were written before the movies (obviously) and I am very adamant about book-to-movie adaptations following the plotline of the books.

When I read Allegiant, I was distraught by that ending. I thought that any other ending besides Tris' death would've been better. However, my English teacher made a very valid point. She said that it took a more realistic turn to fiction. I mean, you have your own fictional world, but that shouldn't mean that everything goes smooth for your characters. Sometimes there's someone who needs to take a sacrifice- and what better a plot twist than to make it your main character? It shows a lot about the ability to let go.

OmniscientPerson (saumyashinde) | 197 comments Mod
I totally agree with that.
I cried so much on that part, especially when Tobias is told about it. Couldn't get over it for a looooong time...

rose - 忻怡 - (_imperfection)
I liked it that the author didn't choose to portray Tris, the protagonist as an all perfect heroine. I love it that Tris has her moments of sadness, conflicts, lovelife tensions and even arguments, which made her somehow more human and more realistic. The part where Tris died was also a great point to show that no one is invincible, even Divergents who are immune to serums. Despite her surviving the death serum, she got shot eventually and that part holds a key lesson - do not underestimate anyone. True, life is a series of luck combined with hard work. You might be naturally intelligent or superior but that doesn't mean that you aren't influenced by luck and possibilities. Veronica Roth did a great job moulding Tris as a believable character and that effort is certainly admirable.

message 5: by Cat (new)

Cat Carstairs | 42 comments Perfectly said, Rose!

daughterofathenacarli | 76 comments Rose {Don't tell me the moon is shining, show me the glint of light on broken glass} wrote: "I liked it that the author didn't choose to portray Tris, the protagonist as an all perfect heroine. I love it that Tris has her moments of sadness, conflicts, lovelife tensions and even arguments,..."

Yes! I totally agree!

message 7: by Ella (new)

Ella Ferris (eferris) This is really interesting, I didn't know that they didn't make Tris die in the movies, I've only seen the first one. Honestly i think they probably shouldn've stayed true to the book. It doesn't really make sense for i anything else.