Silas Bronson Library Book Group discussion

The Family Tree Historical Newspapers Guide: How to Find Your Ancestors in Archived Newspapers
Genealogy & Local History Books > Nonfiction genealogy or local history books

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dana (new)

Dana Lucisano (danall2) I wish we had a circulating copy of Beidler's book so that everyone doing genealogy research could study it in depth. The copy we own here at the Bronson Library (GE 929.1072 Bei) is for in-library use only. At today's meeting of the Genealogy Tip Club, I will be talking about using Chronicling America's "US Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present." Refer to chapter 10 of the book for background information on how the directory was compiled as well as search tips.

message 2: by Dana (new)

Dana Lucisano (danall2) Have you hit a roadblock in your family history research? You have to see it as a long-term quest that is going to take plenty of grit and stamina. Having said that, I think you can never read too many books that deal with the subject of setting goals and working toward them despite seemingly insurmountable obstacles. You might want to give this new book by Meadows a try if you need a little inspiration. (158.1 Mea)
From Failure to Success: Everyday Habits and Exercises to Build Mental Resilience and Turn Failures Into Successes

message 3: by Dana (new)

Dana Lucisano (danall2) Come join our online Genealogy Tip Club meeting on August 19, 2020 if you would like to learn more about finding the passenger lists for your immigrant ancestors. Here are a few books from our collection that explain this facet of genealogy research in detail:
They Came in Ships: A Guide to Finding Your Immigrant Ancestor's Arrival Record
American Passenger Arrival Records. a Guide to the Records of Immigrants Arriving at American Ports by Sail and Steam

message 4: by Dana (new)

Dana Lucisano (danall2) To continue my previous post about ships' passengers lists, many immigrant sagas, whether true or fictional, feature colorful accounts of the actual journey to the new country. In Janina B. Nawarskas' autobiographical story, "A Child Lost: My life's journey from war-torn Europe to proud American," she provides a glimpse of what the ten-day voyage was like, along with photographs of herself and her father, the Identification Tags they wore onboard, and a photograph of the ship, itself. Note: The author was Waterbury Honorary Lithuanian Mayor for the Day in 2008.

message 5: by Dana (new)

Dana Lucisano (danall2) Finding census records on your ancestors brings feelings of satisfaction and accomplishment. It can be done in minutes if you have access to some of the more encompassing databases. However, you may want to do a little background reading in order to get the most out of the search results that pop up on your computer screen. This book by Szucs is a helpful resource even though it is somewhat dated.
Finding Answers in U.S. Census Records
Join us on September 9 to learn more - Genealogy Tip Club online meeting.

message 6: by Dana (new)

Dana Lucisano (danall2) You can never know too much about the history of the locality where your ancestors lived. Here are a few titles that deal with Waterbury's industrial history:
Radium Girls: Women and Industrial Health Reform, 1910-1935
Brass Valley: The Fall of an American Industry

message 7: by Dana (new)

Dana Lucisano (danall2) Are there veterans in your family tree? Have you ever thought about trying to locate their service records? Here are some books available at the Silas Bronson Library that might be helpful:
Tracing Your Civil War Ancestor
The Great War. a Guide to the Service Records of All the World's Fighting Men and Volunteers. World War I
Finding Your Father's War: A Practical Guide to Researching and Understanding Service in the World War II US Army

message 8: by Dana (new)

Dana Lucisano (danall2) A few years ago, at a flea market, I stopped to browse through a pile of old books at one of the stalls. It turned out that one of the books was a family Bible, the kind that had a page in the front where you record significant events, such as births and deaths of family members. Although I wasn't in a position to buy the book, I told the vendor that the book belonged in a museum or historical society library because the genealogical information had value. Someone out there may be looking for information about those individuals. What do you do with stuff that is too valuable to throw away? There is a new book out that may help you make tough decisions about all kinds of things that can have genealogical significance: Bibles, high school yearbooks, vintage wedding gowns, trophies, you-name-it.
How to Weed Your Attic: Getting Rid of Junk without Destroying History Give me a call if you want to hear what the authors have to say about certain items. As for the Bible, they recommended tearing out the family history page and donating it to a genealogical library.

message 9: by Dana (new)

Dana Lucisano (danall2) A big "Thank You" to Peter J. Malia for a very interesting presentation yesterday about a British officer who is buried in West Haven, Connecticut. Ever heard of Campbell Avenue? They named it after this enemy combatant from the Revolutionary War. In case you missed the Genealogy Tip Club meeting, you can get the details in his book.
Visible Saints, West Haven, Connecticut, 1648 - 1798
Hope to see you at the April 6 meeting.
http://www.bronsonlibrary.org/content...