Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Magpie Murders
This topic is about Magpie Murders
Page Numbering Requests > wrong page count on large print edition

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

PattyMacDotComma | 716 comments ISBN 9781444833546

It's unusual because the main character is an editor, and her pages are one sequence of page numbers, while the mystery she is (and we are) reading is a second set.

The editor's part (beginning and end mostly) is 235 pages. The internal mystery (which is set in an old typewriter typeface) is 314, making a total of 549 pages for the edition.

You will see that the other editions are all over 500 pages.

I'm about halfway through and was updating my progress on Goodreads and realised it didn't make any sense! It's interesting that there is no way to tell which page I'm actually on, since it's two books in one!

message 2: by Albert (new)

Albert | 2407 comments WorldCat shows 568 for this edition. Before we go with your number I just wanted to check and see if the WorldCat number made any sense to you as you were looking at the book.

PattyMacDotComma | 716 comments Albert wrote: "WorldCat shows 568 for this edition. Before we go with your number I just wanted to check and see if the WorldCat number made any sense to you as you were looking at the book."

I wish there were an overall page count! There are a few endpapers, but not enough for 19 pages. Still, that's closer than the current count. Let me know if you want me to count the paper pages. I could do that, but not right this minute!

message 4: by Albert (new)

Albert | 2407 comments I went ahead and updated with your page count. If the pages after the story ends includes any content such as acknowledgements, notes or indices, we might want to adjust the count. Thanks.

PattyMacDotComma | 716 comments OK - I have counted. There are 280 'sheets of paper' from the beginning of the story (which actually starts BEFORE the title page!) to the end of the story. The last sheet has story on only one side, so that makes 559 "pages" to read.

It's tricky because it's a book inside a book, so there's a short bio of the fictional author that's inserted before the title page. I did count that. Maybe a publisher will fix it to their satisfaction one day.

But I'm happy to leave it at 549. It's always possible I lost count! :)

message 6: by Albert (new)

Albert | 2407 comments Since any pages before the actual novel starts don't "count" and only certain types of content "count" after the story ends, we will just leave it at 549 for now.

PattyMacDotComma | 716 comments Albert wrote: "Since any pages before the actual novel starts don't "count" and only certain types of content "count" after the story ends, we will just leave it at 549 for now."

Excellent - thanks!