Same Page Books discussion

The Fire Next Time > My Dungeon Shook: Innocence = Ignorance

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michele (last edited Aug 10, 2020 08:30PM) (new)

Michele Pauldo | 23 comments Mod
While reading various reviews and articles about My Dungeon Shook, I came across a particular article that suggested that you reread "Letter to my Nephew" and replace the word innocence with ignorance and innocent with ignorant. The idea was to read what Baldwin was "really' saying.

Baldwin was eloquently sarcastic while expressing his opinion and what ultimately is and unfortunately remains the truth. I asked a few teens and young adults to do the exercise and they each had the same "Aha moment". Substituting the words brought the piece home for them and clarified confusion that originally resulted from what they assumed was Baldwin giving the oppressors a pass.

Unfortunately, I can't recall the exact article, however, I will definitely cite the piece once I find it again. until them, I highly recommend the exercise. Reread the essay with the words substituted and share your thoughts.

message 2: by Terry (new)

Terry Glen Harris  | 20 comments I LOVE this group!
Not only are we actively reading. We are being challenged to read differently than before!

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 21 comments I understood it to mean ignorance. I think he used innocence as a way of saying he hasn't experienced it yet, likely due to age and circumstances.