The Sword and Laser discussion

Elysium
This topic is about Elysium
Elysium > Ely: classics and types of love

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ruth | 1190 comments This book is all about love and loss, and it has quite a few classical references (as the author's note about Hadrian and Antinous makes clear). There's the Vestal Virgins, the name Elysium, even the Twelve seem to be vaguely reminiscent of the Olympian Gods.
One thing that struck me was how the common thread through all the stories is love, but that love takes different forms as the characters' relationships shift.
Some examples of different kinds of love, using the Greek words:
(view spoiler)

This book wasn't super-satisfying narratively, but I did really enjoy the elegaic tone, and the ideas it explored around love, memory, continuity etc.
What do y'all think?

message 2: by Trike (last edited Aug 10, 2020 09:54AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trike | 8768 comments I concur. This is one reason why I think it more closely aligns with Philip K. Dick’s work, where the ideas are paramount, but if I were forced to draw an exact parallel of “if you like that then try this”, it would be with Slaughterhouse-Five by Vonnegut.

It has that same sort of dreamlike narrative of jumping perspectives where it might or might not be about being in an alien zoo, or just someone experiencing a mental break from reality. Basically a literature Rorschach test.

Cathy | 3 comments I agree with your comments, Ruth. This book is about love and loss. And it seems an apt reading choice for the times. The mood it creates certainly resonates with my feelings about the world we are living in now.

terpkristin | 4204 comments I think I'm having a harder time reading it right now because of that, actually. The times are NOT helping me. But it's going quickly.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2898 comments I think I'd add to your idea Ruth that these concepts of love are very much a component of Western Civilization and this matters because (view spoiler)