Vegan Book Club discussion

August 2020: Sistah Vegan > Chapters 1-12

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tessa (new)

Tessa (trisstessa) | 629 comments Mod
Are you reading Sistah Vegan with us? Share your thoughts on the first half of the book here!

Do you like the anthology so far? What's your favorite chapter (or chapters!)?

message 2: by Tessa (new)

So far, I'm loving the different perspectives coming from this collection. I particularly found it interesting that several different contributors spoke about soul food and its negative impacts on one's health. I'm not a health food vegan. I eat carbs and other junk. I don't participate in raw veganism, and I'm certainly not vegan for my health. I love vegan junk food. I think people should definitely cut back on the crap that we eat, but at the same time, that's not what my veganism is about, and I felt like at times it was forgotten that vegan does not necessarily equal healthy? Vegan soul food definitely exists, and plenty of "unhealthy" foods are automatically vegan.

At the same time, I found A. Breeze Harper's chapter so fascinating, especially when including quotes from bell hooks, this one in particular:
We deal with White supremacist assault by buying something to compensate for feelings of wounded pride and self-esteem[...]Think about the proliferation of junk food in Black communities. You can go to any Black community and see Black folks of all ages gobbling up junk food morning, noon, and night.

Sistah Vegan is definitely making me question my own privilege re: health and junk food though. I can probably afford to eat more junk and have less health issues because I'm white. I've never really thought about it like that before.

message 3: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (tofulibrarian) | 22 comments I just started reading this (my order was delayed) but so far I LOVE it. I thought A. Breeze Harper's essay was particularly great. It definitely made me think about how much sugar I consume, though I do try to maintain a plant-based vegan diet.

I'm also a fan of the anthology format. It makes some of the denser content easier to digest.

message 4: by Tessa (new)

Oh, I wanted to mention this before, but one chapter I wasn't particularly a fan of was 10: Black-a-tarian. The author here says,
People assume that just because you are a vegan, your front is animal rights, and they think they should never see you in a leather coat or shoes[...]I agree that they should pass laws regulating and limiting the unethical treatment of animals and unnecessary use of them in everyday products and foods. But it's the consumption of animals that's getting out of control, that's hurting people and animals, not the wearing of them[...]I don't choose to wear leather or fur, but if I happen to wear it, it doesn't contradict me as a vegan. A vegan is one who doesn't eat any meat or dairy or products and that's what I do.

Not to be the vegan police, but...
veg·an
/ˈvēɡən/
noun
a person who does not eat or use animal products.

and
Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose.

Wearing animals does hurt animals - they're being exploited, they're being harmed/killed for their fur/skin, so I'm not sure where the author got the idea that animals are only harmed when used for food.