Hell's Aquarium (Meg #4) Hell's Aquarium discussion

Buddy Read, Chap. 22-29 (with Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Russ I'm posting this message for Cathy, Dennis & myself to share thoughts on our group read, Hell's Aquarium. This discussion includes spoilers for chapters 22-29. If the first to post, feel free to summarize briefly to help guide the conversation. Thanks!

message 2: by Cathy (last edited Aug 14, 2020 02:14AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cathy Chapter 25
“Bioluminescence in living organisms is generated through a chemical reaction, in this case a light-producing luciferin and its catalyst, a luciferase. Fueled by the release of adenosine triphosphate—ATP—the luciferase causes the luciferin to oxidize, creating...“
TMI! Thank you, Lord of the overly detailed info dump! Who cares? We want sea monsters and swirling blood in the water... 😝

Cathy Here is a nice little article about the Dunkleosteus...

https://www.earthtouchnews.com/discov...

message 4: by Cathy (last edited Aug 15, 2020 06:37AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cathy The Helicoprion seems to be quite the mystery. I think this one was mentioned in previous books already and I looked at it and wondered how this tooth whorl could serve any purpose. I guess sometimes animals die out, because their evolutional path just wasn‘t useful enough...

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/an...

I really liked the scene where the guy wades into the Leed‘s fish and gets attacked and killed by the Helicoprion shark inside its belly. That‘s pretty inspired.

Cathy Chapter 26
“Wow. It’s Vampyroteuthis infernalis—the ‘vampire squid from hell.’”
This is a pretty cool squid (octopus?) and it even exists!

Russ Cathy wrote: "I really liked the scene where the guy wades into the Leed‘s fish and gets attacked and killed by the Helicoprion shark inside its belly. That‘s pretty inspired...."

That was pretty clever. Only thing that would have made that scene better was that if the guy was some villain/jerk who'd been bothering us earlier.

Russ Cathy wrote: "Here is a nice little article about the Dunkleosteus...

https://www.earthtouchnews.com/discov..."

Yeah, I could kind of imagine rich investors from the Arab Gulf trying to catch one of those as an attraction for their aquarium/hotel/resort, as in this book.

Russ 21-Team Tanaka invents an f*up prank to scare the shit out of their audience by making them think their mind-controlled meg is going to eat a spectator without revealing that the spectator is actually just a motorized sex doll...
22-David & sidekick Monty break in a guarded location and find the captive Dunkleosteus. The crown prince catches them and taunts David into helping the struggling pilots in the Pacific.
23-A spectator (RAW activist?) points a laser in a meg pup's eye prompting yet another Tanaka Institute incident.
24-David reaches the Western Pacific. Captain Brian Suits divulges the mission to David: to obtain Maren's maps from his sea bottom lab.
25-Team Tanaka decides to return Angel to the wild. Kaylie demands to handle sonar on the Manta Ray with David.
26-David plunges the Manta Ray into the sea bottom with nervous Kaylie shotgun & the vampire squid Cathy mentioned latched on. They enter Maren's laboratory, take what they can, and head for the exit as the lab collapses.
27-Angel wrecks Team Tanaka's transportion plan & they have to improvise to sedate the meg.
28-The Manta Ray grounded, David uses lights to attract helicoprions fish to knock their vessel loose. Jonas, alerted that David is missing, leaves California on a rescue mission.
29-David and Kaylie ride the Panthalassa submarine current away from immediate danger and closer to an alternate escape hole, only to run into an elasmosaur.

Dennis Some good stuff in those chapters. But yes, Alten is truly the "Lord of the overly detailed info dump". Lol. This could be a much better book.

message 10: by Russ (new) - rated it 3 stars

Russ Dennis wrote: "Some good stuff in those chapters. But yes, Alten is truly the "Lord of the overly detailed info dump". Lol. This could be a much better book."

Yeah, but I did find the end of this section quite claustrophobic & nail-biting in a good way. Being stuck so far down on the bottom of the deepest floor of the deepest ocean, only to have your backup motor clunk out... There were moments when I actually felt part of it and the dread David & Kaylie must have felt.

Dennis I liked the whole part with the sub. Didn't care much for everything in between. The sex doll part was silly. Some dull parts as well. Had to laugh when the one guy had his strange encounter with the Helicoprion shark, though. 😄

message 12: by Russ (new) - rated it 3 stars

Russ Dennis wrote: "I liked the whole part with the sub. Didn't care much for everything in between. The sex doll part was silly..."

I got the feeling that Alten found the idea of sex doll bait amusing, then built the story around that. That's when your wife or editor is supposed to reel you back in.

Dennis True. Lol.