Read Women discussion

Archive > October Nominations - Winners announced -

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anita (last edited Aug 15, 2020 10:28PM) (new)

Anita Fajita Pita (anitafajitapitareada) | 947 comments Mod
Hi everyone!

It's time to open up our nomination process for October reads. In October, we will be reading The Women's Prize for Fiction winner (to be announced 9 September, so no nomination process for that) and a Read Around the World book.

Since we had a difficult time finding nominations during our last RAtW process, I will rescind our nominations restriction to allow any country that we haven't visited as a group yet. Please see our list of countries visited.

Nomination Criteria
1. Book must be written by a woman (transwomen and women writing under male pseudonyms are women)
2. Book must be set (or at least half-set) in a country that has not been 'visited' already (See link above).
3. No books that have already been group reads (see the big list of previous reads).
4. You cannot nominate your own book.

Nomination Rules
1. Please identify the title, authors name, and the country your book is set in when nominating.
2. Please use the Goodreads 'add book/author' button when nominating, otherwise your nomination may be missed.
3. Please indicate whether you are willing to lead discussion on the book.
4. One nomination per person.

***I also can't stress enough that the accessability of the book should be a priority consideration right now as many people do not have easy access to libraries and shopping. Please consider this both when nominating and when voting.***

Nominations so far:

-Disoriental by Négar Djavadi, Iran - Liesl
-To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf, United Kingdom - Michaela
-The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden, Russia - Carol

Nominations will end 21 August

message 2: by Liesl (new)

Liesl | 486 comments I nominate An Image in a Mirror by Ijangolet S. Ogwang. Country is Uganda.

I can lead.

message 3: by Michaela (last edited Aug 13, 2020 01:36PM) (new)

Michaela | 295 comments I nominate To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf. Country: United Kingdom

It´s for 70p on kindle: https://www.amazon.com/Lighthouse-Vir...

and for free here: https://archive.org/details/in.ernet....

I can lead.

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 2093 comments Mod
I nominate The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden. Country: Russia

I can lead.

message 5: by Carol (new)

Liesl wrote: "I nominate An Image in a Mirror by Ijangolet S. Ogwang. Country is Uganda.

I can lead."

Liesl, I looked on Amazon and Book Depository, and searched Google to try to find a copy of this novel and am getting "currently unavailable" everywhere, using the ISBN. Have you found anywhere where it is available?

message 6: by Liesl (new)

Liesl | 486 comments Carol wrote: "Liesl wrote: "I nominate An Image in a Mirror by Ijangolet S. Ogwang. Country is Uganda.

I can lead."

Liesl, I looked on Amazon and Book Depository, and searched..."

I am able to get a kindle version on Amazon.es. Otherwise it does appear to be currently unavailable. I can withdraw the nomination.

message 7: by Anita (new)

Liesl wrote: "I am able to get a kindle version on Amazon.es. Otherwise it does appear to be currently unavailable. I can withdraw the nomination..."

You're welcome to change your nomination if you'd like to look for one a bit more accessible to more members, or you can leave it in. It isn't a requirement per se, but I think it won't get many votes if people can't access it. Or, if it won and then no one could get it, then that wouldn't be a lively discussion anyways. Just let me know!

message 8: by Liesl (new)

Liesl | 486 comments Anita wrote: "Liesl wrote: "I am able to get a kindle version on Amazon.es. Otherwise it does appear to be currently unavailable. I can withdraw the nomination..."

You're welcome to change your nomination if yo..."

I'll withdraw the nomination for An Image in a Mirror and nominate Disoriental by Négar Djavadi. Country is Iran. I can lead.

message 9: by Anita (new)

Liesl wrote: "I'll withdraw the nomination for An Image in a Mirror and nominate Disoriental by Négar Djavadi. Country is Iran. I can lead...."

Gotcha, and that book is on my tbr too :)

message 10: by Anita (last edited Aug 21, 2020 06:02AM) (new)

Nominations are closed and the poll is up. Please vote here. Thank you to everyone who nominated.

Polls will close August 30.

message 11: by Carol (new)

And the 25th Women's Prize for Fiction goes to ... Maggie O'Farrell for Hamnet!

https://bookriot.com/2020-womens-priz...

Get your copy now if you want to read and discuss Hamnet in October, along with our other member-selected novel: Disoriental.

message 12: by Story (new)

Story (storyheart) | 637 comments So glad it won. I loved it.

message 13: by Anita (new)

I haven't read that one. Put it on hold already and should get it just in time.

message 14: by Michaela (new)

Michaela | 295 comments Sounds great! Sadly only one copy in our many libraries.