Beta Reader Group discussion

Critique Partners and Swaps > Long Term YA Fantasy Critique Partners

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Lan (jacquelanx) | 4 comments Hey,
I am looking for two critique partners for my YA fantasy novel. I am willing to swap novels (novels under or around 120k words at the most) with two critique partners-- one for sensitivity review and one for general review. My novel is still a work in progress, but I wish to finish and revise it before September 20, which is around the deadline for Pitch Wars 2020.
Although my novel is around the halfway mark, I am open to reading full manuscripts from any of my critique partners. I mainly read YA, but feel free to reach out with anything else. I will read up to the halfway mark, and if I feel engaged, I will keep reading. All I ask in return is for you to review my novel in return once I complete it. Please dm me if you are interested!

A little about my novel--
-enemies to lovers romance
-fantasy quest
-a lot of action and family scenes
-estimated length of around 95,000 to 100,000 words
-draws inspiration from Children of Blood and Bone, Six of Crows, and the Hunger Games
-in first-person perspective
-set with East Asian characters
-medium to fast-paced

if you are interested, please dm me at jacqueline.lanx@gmail.com
thanks,
Lily

message 2: by L.C. (new)

L.C. Perry | 45 comments Hey! Can I ask what the sensitivity reader will be responsible for? (If you've already found two people, feel free to ignore this)

message 3: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Lan (jacquelanx) | 4 comments L.C. wrote: "Hey! Can I ask what the sensitivity reader will be responsible for? (If you've already found two people, feel free to ignore this)"

Hey, thank you for responding! This book deals with themes such as discrimination and prejudice, which is something I personally experience as a POC. I wish to explore these themes, but the POV is written from a princess-- someone who isn't discriminated against. Throughout the book, she learns about the discrimination happening in her country from the love interest and also sees it for herself, which is part of her character arc. However, sometimes I fear the POV of the princess and the events occurring to the discriminated group may become too ignorant or insensitive. This is the main reason :)