Space Opera Fans discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book and Author of the Month > Sept 2020 READER Nominations

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Teresa Carrigan | 2522 comments Mod
This thread is for nominations for READER category for September 2020.

READER books need to be
* currently in print in either hardback or paperback (or both). Requiring a special order from a store or website counts, but not if the book is only available used.
* currently available in multiple ebook formats, from multiple vendors
* Space Opera, which means a spaceship has to be involved in the story somewhere.
* If it is part of a series, it needs to be suitable to being read without having read other books in the series.
* Please no blatantly erotic books, as some of our members are not full adults yet.

RULES:
* you may nominate one book on this thread.
* you may second as many nominations as you like on this thread.
* it is okay to nominate the same book on more than one nomination thread, as long as it meets the criteria
* books we already have on our bookshelf will be disqualified
* If a book you nominate or second is selected, you are expected to post at least one comment about it on the thread about the book.
* In about two weeks I will draw a book randomly, with each second being one raffle ticket for the book. That is, a book with three seconds (so four of us want it) will get three chances in the pool.

It is likely helpful if you know something about a book that has been nominated if you mention it in this thread, whether it is for or against the book.

message 2: by Richard (new)

Richard | 58 comments I’ll nominate Shadow Captain by Alastair Reynolds (sorry the app doesn’t let me put the link to the book here). We read Revenger awhile ago-this is book 2 of the trilogy.

message 3: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

I’m not seconding it, just giving the link Shadow Captain (Revenger, #2) by Alastair Reynolds Shadow Captain by Alastair Reynolds

message 4: by Leticia (new)

Leticia (leticiatoraci) | 36 comments Nomination: Annihilation Aria

message 5: by Richard (new)

Richard | 58 comments Thanks Teresa!

message 6: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Summary so far:
Shadow Captain (Revenger, #2) by Alastair Reynolds Shadow Captain by Alastair Reynolds. Nominated by Richard. Awaiting seconds.
Annihilation Aria (The Space Operas, #1) by Michael R. Underwood Annihilation Aria by Michael R. Underwood. Nominated by Leticia. Awaiting seconds.

Nominations will close on the 22nd. We need a second or we won’t have any pick for September.

message 7: by Eva (new)

Eva I second both nominations. :-)

By the way - should we require seconds when there are so few nominations? Wouldn't it make sense to just put everything nominated in a poll when there are less than 6?

I nominate Emissaries from the Dead by Adam-Troy Castro.

message 8: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

The decision was made some time back that unless at least two people were willing to discuss a book we weren’t going to pick it as a group read. Seconding means you promise to post some comment about the book on the discussion thread, if that book is chosen.

message 9: by Ines (new)

Ines (imaginary_space) I second Annihilation Aria.

message 10: by Eva (new)

Eva In that case I take the seconds and nomination back - I can't guarantee it. Thank you for explaining.

message 11: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Summary so far:
Shadow Captain (Revenger, #2) by Alastair Reynolds Shadow Captain by Alastair Reynolds. Nominated by Richard. Awaiting seconds.
Annihilation Aria (The Space Operas, #1) by Michael R. Underwood Annihilation Aria by Michael R. Underwood. Nominated by Leticia. Seconded by Ines.

Nominations will close tomorrow. Unless we get a second for a different book, our September pick will be Annihilation Aria.

message 12: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Nominations are now closed. Our September pick is Annihilation Aria.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.