Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Fernando Invents Socks!
This topic is about Fernando Invents Socks!
Book Issues > Please add ASIN to my book

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brad (new)

Brad (bradpohl) | 14 comments Hi there,

Please would a librarian oblige me by adding the ASIN B08F7DS98F to my book "Fernando Invents Socks!" - it was recently allocated to me by Amazon when I listed it on the platform. I tried to do it myself but am not allowed to do so.

Thank you,

Brad

message 2: by Brad (new)

Brad (bradpohl) | 14 comments I had to apply for a ISBN exemption because they were not accepting my ISBN since it wasn't bought through GS1 (even though it was bought through the international ISBN agency).

They granted my exemption but assigned me a new ASIN which is the one I listed in my query. What should I do now, create a new, separate book listing?

message 3: by Scott (new)

Scott | 23272 comments We only use ASINs for Kindle editions.

message 4: by Brad (new)

Brad (bradpohl) | 14 comments How do you suggest that I link my listing here to my Amazon listing then? That's what I'm trying to find out.

message 5: by Brad (new)

Brad (bradpohl) | 14 comments Also, why would Amazon assign me an ASIN for my print book when ASINs are only used for Kindle editions?

message 6: by Scott (new)

Scott | 23272 comments Well, Amazon can put them on whatever they like, but at GR they are exclusively used for Kindle.

I'm not sure what is to be done here, but it is probably out of the hands of us volunteer librarians. You may have to ask support.

message 7: by Brad (new)

Brad (bradpohl) | 14 comments Can I not request my book listing here to be deleted and re-add it using the Amazon listing?

message 8: by Scott (new)

Scott | 23272 comments No, if staff decides to make an exception for the ASIN, the record can simply be edited.

message 9: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 26083 comments Unfortunately not as we don't use ASINs for paperback editions, as was stated above. If a librarian saw it they would just remove it, thinking it was wrong.

ASINs and paperbacks on amazon imply they are being used by a reseller, not by the author, when there is also not an ISBN listed.

message 10: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 26083 comments I'd get in touch with Amazon and request they list your book with the ISBN.

message 11: by Emily (last edited Aug 11, 2020 07:57AM) (new)

Emily | 15014 comments Brad wrote: "Also, why would Amazon assign me an ASIN for my print book when ASINs are only used for Kindle editions?"

Most items, including many physical books, have an ASIN on Amazon, which is probably why Amazon assigned it to you. We just only use them for Kindle editions on Goodreads.

message 12: by Brad (new)

Brad (bradpohl) | 14 comments As I said above, Amazon did not accept my ISBN in the first place - so I can't ask them to do that, which was why I had to get an exception to list my book since I had 1000 printed and couldn't change the ISBN number to one that suited them.

message 13: by Brad (new)

Brad (bradpohl) | 14 comments I will contact support, thanks ;)

message 14: by Emily (new)

Emily | 15014 comments Brad wrote: "As I said above, Amazon did not accept my ISBN in the first place - so I can't ask them to do that, which was why I had to get an exception to list my book since I had 1000 printed and couldn't cha..."

I was just explaining the ASIN use from the Goodreads end of things.