Jewish Historical Fiction discussion

Caledonia - The Novel

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (goodreadscomuser_sherryostroff) | 2 comments I'd like to introduce you to my historical novel.

CALEDONIA is a tale of two strong women separated by three centuries but bound by mysterious circumstances. 21st century Hanna keeps uncovering evidence linking her to 17th century Anna. Both women experience romance, adventure, and tragedy as the reader witnesses them becoming more and more connected.

Anna Issac’s choices are bleak. She can’t imagine marrying the revolting Frenchman her malicious brother has chosen for her. The only other option is to beg a man she barely knows, a Highlander, to help her run away. Escape would be a challenge for any fifteen-year-old, but it is particularly difficult for a Jewess living in 17th century Scotland.

Three centuries later, the death of Hanna Duncan's father unleashes a chain of events that leads her to an ancient key with a peculiar etching. Once deciphered, the clue points Hanna toward a safe deposit box in Edinburgh where Hanna uncovers Anna’s role in the creation of Scotland’s only colony.

Caledonia promised to be the trading hub of the New World, but starvation, ship’s fever, and incompetent leadership dogged the 1,200 colonists from the moment they left Scotland. More than half would be buried at sea or in the colony's muddy cemetery, and Anna would not be immune from the dreadful conditions. The outpost, Caledonia, was deserted in less than a year.

A sequel will be out in early 2021.
Caledonia Caledonia by Sherry V. Ostroff

message 2: by Lewis (new)

Lewis Weinstein (lewweinstein) | 42 comments sounds interesting ... ... LEW ... p.s. you can check out my historical novels set in Spain & Florence in the 15th c and in Poland & Germany before and during WWII … at https://www.amazon.com/Lewis-M.-Weins...

message 3: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (goodreadscomuser_sherryostroff) | 2 comments I checked out your books. You've written a lot. I'm only on my third book which is a sequel. Caledonia has a bit about the Inquisition in it, too, which is a time period that has always interested me.

message 4: by Lewis (new)

Lewis Weinstein (lewweinstein) | 42 comments when I belatedly began writing, I intended to write about the Nazi period, but I thought it was too complex a subject for a first novel ... so I went back in history until I reached the Inquisition period in Spain, and I wrote THE HERETIC, which takes place in the years leading to the Spanish Inquisition and (I think) portrays the forces (Church, government, business) at work against Jews during that time