Devon Book Club discussion

Book Club Challenge > A Literary Guide to Devon

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3055 comments Mod
Hi everyone. An article called A Literary Guide to Devon was published over on our FB group by Angela. It had a few obviously suggestions in it like Greenway, some less well known such as the thought that the location for Sense and Sensibilitywas actually a house in Devon (near Exeter) called Pynes House. It got me thinking about all the books set in Devon by contemporary and classically famous writers - Westward Ho! among them.

So - I'd like us to compile our own DBC Literary Guide to Devon - suggestions?

message 2: by DrMama (new)

DrMama | 332 comments The action of 'Lorna Doone' by R. D. Blackmore is set on Exmoor, and moves between Devon and Somerset. It is based in the Lynn valley, Lorna Doone during the period of Monmouth's rebellion. The 'Doone Clan' rule the region and get up to all sorts of evil-doing, and a handsome local farmer ( 'girt Jan Ridd') falls for the beautiful Lorna, who is intended for the cruel monster 'Carver Doone'. Much daring-do and 'buckling of swash!' takes place, and it is a very long, dense book. I read it, when on holiday in the area, as a young teenager (with my rather elderly parents) and I loved it! However, a recent look decided me against a reread!

message 3: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3055 comments Mod
DrMama wrote: "The action of 'Lorna Doone' by R. D. Blackmore is set on Exmoor, and moves between Devon and Somerset. It is based in the Lynn valley, Lorna Doone during the period of Monmouth's rebel..."

Interesting - why did you decide not to read again?

message 4: by DrMama (new)

DrMama | 332 comments I felt I knew it too well (TV version etc.) plus I'd rather read 'new-to-me' long, detailed and serious books! I love long and serious: 'Daniel Deronda is one of my favourite works, and I'm just about to start my first reading of Moby-Dick … although I have been saying it will be next, all the way through lockdown!

message 5: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3055 comments Mod
DrMama wrote: "I felt I knew it too well (TV version etc.) plus I'd rather read 'new-to-me' long, detailed and serious books! I love long and serious: 'Daniel Deronda is one of my favourite works, and I'm just ab..."

I'll be interested in what you think about Moby-Dick or, the Whale. I was disappointed in it overall. I liked the first half but lost interest as it went on. My next long, classic read is Don Quixote which I cant believe that I have never read

message 6: by DrMama (new)

DrMama | 332 comments Hi Ian,
I just came across these comments, while searching for a reply to Carol (from yesterday). Did you read 'Don Quixote'? I have it on the shelf, but have never read more than a few extracts in Lectures … decades ago. Also, while on the topic of 'not-getting-round-to-reading-books' … my reading of 'Moby Dick' consisted of checking where it was on the bookshelves … and then leaving it there.
It is still on my 'hit-list' but I was distracted by: 'work' reading & writing; reading books with my reading pal; reading books with (wonderful) 'Kingsbridge Library', Reading Group; … and just reading odd things that took my fancy, such as a new-to-me biography of Conrad and several novels by Lillian Smith. Smith was born in Georgia (US) in 1897 (I've checked her on the 'author' list on here and none of the links seem to relate to this 'Lillian Smith' - unless they are only listing works by her which are not on my list: she did write a lot). Smith's writing was very popular, particularly in the northern states, although - as she was in a same-sex relationship and pro-desegregation - she and her work were not popular in the South, although she was never open about her sexuality. However, her books do address race-relations and the lives and histories of black men and women in the South, through the period of her life.
More anon … I'm supposed to be sewing!!

message 7: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3055 comments Mod
DrMama wrote: "Hi Ian,
I just came across these comments, while searching for a reply to Carol (from yesterday). Did you read 'Don Quixote'? I have it on the shelf, but have never read more than a few extracts in..."

As promised I am catching up on messages - I am so sorry to have been so tardy in replying. I got distracted by lots of happenings and so have not yet got to Quixote but it remains high up my list.

Lillian Smith sounds very interesting - I shall take note!