What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Second Coming
This topic is about The Second Coming
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Fiction, adult contemporary, male author, girl gets out of asylum and hides in old greenhouse. Spoilers ahead. [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather Heroldt | 9 comments ...and an older gentleman comes along and helps her and becomes attached. Greenhouse might be off a fancy club golf course.

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather Heroldt | 9 comments I think the man's name was Henry?

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather Heroldt | 9 comments And I read the book back in the early 90's, I think.

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35333 comments Mod
Heather, what's the genre (which we need to add to the topic header) - e.g., adult contemporary/historical romance, mystery?

What is the story's time period and location (country, etc.)?

How old is the girl? Why was she in the asylum?

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather Heroldt | 9 comments Sorry, I edited the header!
I think it might have been set in the 70's or 80's, US south, maybe the Carolinas?
The girl is a young adult, I think had been committed as a teen for acting out/social disruptiveness, and finally got out on her own. I seem to recall she was high functioning but was a little messed up still from some fairly draconian "treatments" while she was committed... She wrote herself instructions to help cope that she would refer to?
SPOILERS:
I think I remember that she bused into the town from the institution, and stopped at a supply store for some basic camping gear, can't remember where she got the money, or what her tie was to the town, but she seemed to know a little about it, and the abandoned greenhouse off in the woods where she ended up camping out.
Can't remember how the guy found her (chasing a golf ball?) but he started coming by to check on her, not to mess with her - brought her avocados and olive oil one time to help her get more nutrition. He was older, retired professional, maybe a lawyer/doctor or accountant? Ran with a genteel retiree golf crowd that he wasn't quite comfortable with. I think he was married, but he and the girl eventually developed a little thing going maybe? She might have turned out to be the heiress to the land maybe? Argh!
I used to have at least two books by this author, both I remember being great, but this is the plot that stands out in my mind...

message 6: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35333 comments Mod
No worries. Thanks for updating the topic header. This will help searchers and moderators.

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather Heroldt | 9 comments Hah, just finally worked it out. I started by thinking that maybe there was the word "gentleman" in the title, but that was in the second book - THIS book is The Second Coming by Walker Percy. The Last Gentleman (followed that trail, lol) led me to the author! Yay!

message 8: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19559 comments Glad you found it!

The Second Coming for the link.